cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Medical Insurance to repay Student Loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancel Medical Insurance to repay Student Loans?

Aduling is hard! I get the instinct. I'm sitting on $90k in student loans (I only took out $50k but being in deferment/forebearnace for nearly a decade really jacked that balance up) and even on the lowest payment plan, my payment is $400 and I chose a career field to take advantage of PSLF which of course everyone is being denied. I considered not taking insurance this year to help offset that cost because I, like you, don't go to the doctor very often and am generally young and healthy. For a moment it seemed like a risk, but one that would probably land in my favor. And then a few days before I was set to make that move, my doctor found a health issue that ended up taking dozens of appointments, countless expensive scans, and tens of thousands of dollars to resolve. Thankfully, my insurance covered most of it.

Moral of the story? It isn't worth the risk, even if your employer doesn't demand repayment. Health issues sneak up on you and you do not want to be caught without coverage. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad you were able to recover from your health scare.
If you would like advice and tips on PSLF and its pitfalls, feel free to let us know here or in the student loan topic. Many of the mistakes that were made due to Dept of Education's lack of communication and servicers' lack of, well, decency, is now more easily identifiable. Good luck.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, "luckily" I came into late and am only 1 year in so Ive seen where others have gone wrong and will hopefully head that off. But it's a hot mess so who knows what will come of it.
Message 13 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The OP hasn't been back to the forums in months so this thread is now closed.

Feel free to start a new thread if you would like to continue the discussion.

--UB

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.