cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitalized interest still tax deductible?

GatorCowboyLion
Valued Member

Capitalized interest still tax deductible?

The title says it all. I have a loan that had $4k capitalized. I know because I saw an old message in Fedloan Servicing that I previously ignored. Does the first 4k I pay on the principle of that loan count as interest for tax return purposes? 🤔 

DW cards:

PC goals:

CC in order of want:

DW goal:
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Capitalized interest still tax deductible?

@GatorCowboyLion wrote:

The title says it all. I have a loan that had $4k capitalized. I know because I saw an old message in Fedloan Servicing that I previously ignored. Does the first 4k I pay on the principle of that loan count as interest for tax return purposes? 🤔 

If you are making a principle payment, then it wouldn't be interest or tax deductible. 

FedLoan (probably other servicer's too) provide a tax document every year showing how much you paid in interest. If sufficient enough was paid in the past that you didn't claim, you can file amended tax returns for those years to claim it.

By sufficient, I only mean that there is enough of a return for you to warrant the time and possible expense (using a tax professional) to claim the refund due.

Goodwill Saturation Technique

Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Score 10/2018: EQ:669, EX:686, TU:668
Score 11/17/2018: EQ:682, EX:681, TU:683
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
12/24/2018 -- EQ Beacon 5.0: 678, EX Fico II: 690, TU Fico Classic 04: 716

Goal Score: 740+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000

Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.

Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal:
August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 5
calyx
Super Contributor

^ yup, the institution should have sent you a document on the taxes you paid over the year.   They're only required to do so if you paid at least $600, but I've had my servicer send me documents when it's less than that.

F8 EQ: 804 | EX: 781 | TU: 782 | Accounts: 2/6 3/12 7/24 | Reporting: AZE10
Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 5
GatorCowboyLion
Valued Member

I have not paid on my student loans all year. When I do, I was hoping to count the interest against my taxable income. Can they deny me that opportunity by just switching the interest to principle by capitalizing it? 

Screenshot_20210911-084153_Drive.jpg

DW cards:

PC goals:

CC in order of want:

DW goal:
Message 4 of 5
calyx
Super Contributor

They can.
The only way to have avoided it was to actually pay the interest (capitalized interest, by definition becomes part of the principal, which is not tax deductible in most cases).   It makes sense - they don't know that you will actually ever pay the principal, so why would they make that part tax-deductible?  

Usually interest is capitalized during changes, though the lender can do it at other times.

There is more information here: https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/interest-rates

(edited because I time traveled, sorry)

F8 EQ: 804 | EX: 781 | TU: 782 | Accounts: 2/6 3/12 7/24 | Reporting: AZE10
Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.