Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing debt to personal loan impact my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing debt to personal loan impact my score

Finally approved to refi a large amount of student loans through Citizens bank (110k) - I am wondering if or how this will change my credit scores (currently hover around 700) ?? I would think it will be a different type of reporting on bureaus vs the old student loan category this might now be considered a personal loan ... even though it will remain the same amount of debt but because of a possible category change in the TYPE of debt reported will this negatively impact me?
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Changing debt to personal loan impact my score

Personal loans and student loans are both types of installment debt, so they are handled basically the same in most FICO score models.  What will have an impact is any inquiries on your report, as well as the opening of the new account.  You'll get a ding for the account being new, and may also lose a few points if your average age of accounts decreases.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changing debt to personal loan impact my score

Dang thank you .. i knew about inquiry impact when i applied but didn't even think about the new account damage ... i have 14yrs as my.oldest account but several new cc in last 6mos so ouch that will hurt a lil bit .. appreciate your response and knowledge!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.