cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed student loan and late payments on it...

tag
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Closed student loan and late payments on it...

Ok, so I applied for Disability Discharge of all my student loans in 2012. I completed the monitoring period last year, went through the whole 1099-C issue over them with the IRS and it's all settled and done. After straightening all this out and Chaper 7 discharge being over a year now, the only real blemish (besides Ch 7 lol) that remains is one of the loans. Opened April 2009 and closed May 2012 under the Disability Discharge. Looking at my reports under Late Payments is three late payments on this loan from 2011-2012 before applying for the Disability Discharge. Although this loan and all my other student loans are now closed and zero balances, is there any way I can justify a dispute to the reporting agencies to get that removed or am I living with it until 2022? Or since everything else is in good standing, should I even worry ? Guess I'm being a little OCD in trying to extract every possible increase in my scores now lol. Which isn't really a BAD thing lol.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Re: Closed student loan and late payments on it...

Anyone with experience ?

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 2 of 3
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed student loan and late payments on it...

@6speed8 wrote:

Ok, so I applied for Disability Discharge of all my student loans in 2012. I completed the monitoring period last year, went through the whole 1099-C issue over them with the IRS and it's all settled and done. After straightening all this out and Chaper 7 discharge being over a year now, the only real blemish (besides Ch 7 lol) that remains is one of the loans. Opened April 2009 and closed May 2012 under the Disability Discharge. Looking at my reports under Late Payments is three late payments on this loan from 2011-2012 before applying for the Disability Discharge. Although this loan and all my other student loans are now closed and zero balances, is there any way I can justify a dispute to the reporting agencies to get that removed or am I living with it until 2022? Or since everything else is in good standing, should I even worry ? Guess I'm being a little OCD in trying to extract every possible increase in my scores now lol. Which isn't really a BAD thing lol.

Unfortuanately you can't dispute the lates if you were in fact late, you can try to good will the companies to remove the lates but they are not obligated to do so.

the good news is the closed account will remain on your report until 2022 but the lates will start dropping off as they reach 7 years so worse case you have to live with them until 2018-2019.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.