Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completed Loan Rehab - Still showing US DEPT OF ED/GLELSI Late payments

Highlighted
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: Completed Loan Rehab - Still showing US DEPT OF ED/GLELSI Late payments

You can see the gap in my scores. That's my last late falling off, and will be all 3 soon. 750 isn't bad and I'm not at all doing AZEO + my loans are on the forgiveness track (100% util). The late doesn't have to hold you back as much as long as you optimize the rest of your profile. Then when a few years passes by, you check your score in an oxygen bar on Mars and it's gone! 🙂

Message 11 of 17
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@calyx @Sabii :

Apologies for reviving a dead thread. I'm a bit confused about who I should be talking to, Ascendium or Great Lakes for goodwill letters. Does one of you have goodwill contact information for Great Lakes or Ascendium I can use?

I think I found the Ascendium email scheme, but I would love your help!

Credit Report shows: US Dept of Ed/GLELSI

Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, I think that you had lates that were worse than what were showing. So from quickly re-reading the advice, we advised you wait it out and try for an early Exclusion 6 months before the 7 years is up. I saw someone has success with this with their federal student loans. I have not seen anyone have success with a goodwill letter so far because they are legally required to report lates (higher education act). I could be wrong though. 

Message 13 of 17
Highlighted

Literally the same situation I was/am in. I rehabbed my credit from hell and got everything to good and positive standing. Hired people to clean up my credit report and everything is spotless.....for the exception of the lates from a SL that is no longer being handled by the company that reported it.

I exhausted every single option, paid for/consulted nearly all types of credit professionals, and ended up with one thing.....SUCK IT UP AND HANG UNTIL IT FALLS OFF. 

Keep doing what you're doing to keep your credit clean and high while letting time kill the virus that is student loans. I got approved for all types of credit lines and have an above avg score (730+) while still having those BS SL lates on my CR.

Best of luck.

Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

As everyone else said if you were ever actually late do not dispute federal loans they can and will dig up anything to punish you for disputing, I disputed mine in December and they updated to Equifax some bs that in retrospect my account was 90 days late a month earlier than had been reported for 6 years and 2 months and Equifax tried to say the DoFD was now December 2019 like wut how can something be first delinquent 6 years after it supposedly happened, I called FedLoan they said someone had done a manual adjustment to my account, luckily the lady I talked to was extremely nice and agreed if I provided a written agreement that the prior reporting was accurate and attested to the fact I would not dispute again, she would furnish me with a document stating the updated reporting was incorrect and roll it back to how it originally was, I did and she lived up to her end of the bargain, I faxed it to Equifax and it fixed it I learned the hard way NEVER dispute while it's bs they can pull the old we gave you retroactive forbearance but won't remove the lates it's their rules

Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@Chandler455 wrote:

As everyone else said if you were ever actually late do not dispute federal loans they can and will dig up anything to punish you for disputing, I disputed mine in December and they updated to Equifax some bs that in retrospect my account was 90 days late a month earlier than had been reported for 6 years and 2 months and Equifax tried to say the DoFD was now December 2019 like wut how can something be first delinquent 6 years after it supposedly happened, I called FedLoan they said someone had done a manual adjustment to my account, luckily the lady I talked to was extremely nice and agreed if I provided a written agreement that the prior reporting was accurate and attested to the fact I would not dispute again, she would furnish me with a document stating the updated reporting was incorrect and roll it back to how it originally was, I did and she lived up to her end of the bargain, I faxed it to Equifax and it fixed it I learned the hard way NEVER dispute while it's bs they can pull the old we gave you retroactive forbearance but won't remove the lates it's their rules

Wow! That is terrible! They make you sign that you will never dispute again "or else"? I mean, don't get me wrong. It worked out for you that they removed the extra lates, but that is inaccurate reporting, and sad that they are willing to "fix it" in lieu of you making such an agreement. What if there is something to actually dispute down the road? They will have taken that from you.

I don't deny, again, that it sort of worked out for you in the end, but wrong of them for what they asked for in return.

Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 5•20 | EQ [F8 605] [F9 671] [EQ5 641] [VS3 632] | TU [F8 576] [F9 555] [TU4 537] [VS3 610] | EX [F8 593] [F9 583] [EX2 614] [VS3 587]
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 5•20 | EQ [F8 597] [F9 526] [EQ5 647] [VS3 615] | TU [F8 573] [F9 496] [TU4 553] [VS3 590] | EX [F8 605] [F9 539] [EX2 629] [VS3 613]
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Chandler455 wrote:

I always highly, HIGHLY recommend against disputing SL lines unless you have a mountain of evidence.    It always seems to go wrong, and SL servicers can be brutal.
I got burned not realizing I was initiating a dispute (I just wanted more information, I was *not* disputing, just trying to figure something out). 

EQ: 804 | EX: 789 | TU: 787 | Accounts: 0/6 2/12 10/24
Happy practitioner of AZE6or7or8
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.