Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about what to do next

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about what to do next

I have one SL account showing twice on my CR, one as an account in good standing, one as a negative. I rehabbed my loan in 2016 and have paid on time for 18 months, that's the good one. The bad one shows 120 day lates starting in 2013 through 2014. The problem is I never made a payment past December 2010/early 2011. I defaulted on every credit account I had when my unemployment benefits ended late 2010 and I remained unemployed/ underemployed. All the other accounts fell off late last year, 2 CC and 1 private SL. I hadn't started digging into rebuilding my credit until about 6 months ago and thought, based on conversations with Navient who has my loan now, that the negatives from this would go away as well. I do realize that late payments stay on and default comes off. The problem is that I was late starting in 2011, not 2013. According to NSLDS my loans were in Forbearance from 4/2009-4/2010, then in repayment 4/2010-12/2010, then FB 12/2010-12/2012, then RP 7/13, then default 8/14, account closed 9/14. However, I never signed or agreed to any Forbearance.

I did find some info via web search about mandatory and administrative forbearance during loan transfers. The original loan belonged to Citibank and was sold to Sallie Mae, now lives with Navient. It appears that during the transfers the loan was put in forbearance and reopened as current in 2013, although I was already 120 days late when they bought it.

Does anyone have any experience or insight? I feel I may need to seek 3rd party help. I'm not sure which issue to dispute. Duplicate reporting? false re-aging? goodwill? I can't find anything similar searching here or online. Is the DoFD for student loans with the original creditor?

*I have disputed with EQ + EX that the lates were wrong + duplicate reporting, but those denied. They were disputed online and via phone and I don't really think they understood what I was disputing. Navient asked me to send info regarding the duplicate accounts on my CR. The disputes and conversation with Navient happened before I found the info NSLDS on admin forbearance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused about what to do next

wrote:

I have one SL account showing twice on my CR, one as an account in good standing, one as a negative. I rehabbed my loan in 2016 and have paid on time for 18 months, that's the good one. The bad one shows 120 day lates starting in 2013 through 2014. The problem is I never made a payment past December 2010/early 2011. I defaulted on every credit account I had when my unemployment benefits ended late 2010 and I remained unemployed/ underemployed. All the other accounts fell off late last year, 2 CC and 1 private SL. I hadn't started digging into rebuilding my credit until about 6 months ago and thought, based on conversations with Navient who has my loan now, that the negatives from this would go away as well. I do realize that late payments stay on and default comes off. The problem is that I was late starting in 2011, not 2013. According to NSLDS my loans were in Forbearance from 4/2009-4/2010, then in repayment 4/2010-12/2010, then FB 12/2010-12/2012, then RP 7/13, then default 8/14, account closed 9/14. However, I never signed or agreed to any Forbearance.

I did find some info via web search about mandatory and administrative forbearance during loan transfers. The original loan belonged to Citibank and was sold to Sallie Mae, now lives with Navient. It appears that during the transfers the loan was put in forbearance and reopened as current in 2013, although I was already 120 days late when they bought it.

Does anyone have any experience or insight? I feel I may need to seek 3rd party help. I'm not sure which issue to dispute. Duplicate reporting? false re-aging? goodwill? I can't find anything similar searching here or online. Is the DoFD for student loans with the original creditor?

*I have disputed with EQ + EX that the lates were wrong + duplicate reporting, but those denied. They were disputed online and via phone and I don't really think they understood what I was disputing. Navient asked me to send info regarding the duplicate accounts on my CR. The disputes and conversation with Navient happened before I found the info NSLDS on admin forbearance.

I also have a similar situation and curious if you ever got a resolution to your questions.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused about what to do next

Hi! I really haven't found anything anywhere, but this is what has happened since...

There is one other thread and user who did get their account removed by filing a CFPB complaint.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/CFPB-Complaint/td-p/5199199

I was a little nervous to go the same route with filing a complaint because if that didn't work I thought I wouldn't have any other options than to be stuck with it. I decided to take a different route on one of those r*pa*r services that we're not supposed to talk about here. It's not LL, but Cr*d*tS*int. I signed up last week and my EQ already went up 39 points and TU went up 26 points to 700+ on both, still waiting on EX. I can't tell what has changed yet, but their strategy was just to tackle having the late payments removed so it must be working, although I can't be sure til I get a new CR. I can't see any other reason my scores would have gone up that much. They have a much simpler approach than I did and more experience dealing with complex issues. If they were just simple lates I would have been comfortable asking for removal on my own. I got other things removed on my own, but I felt this was just over my head, but maybe I was wrong. I'm relieved that something is happening, I did my 7 years in credit prison and I deserve to be out. Smiley Happy))

Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.