Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidated loans appearing on report as separate accounts

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

Consolidated loans appearing on report as separate accounts

Actually, I misread the report. The loans reported weren't in the consolidation. Thanks for the info, though.

I'm quite sure that I consolidated my loans before I defaulted. However, they're now showing on my report as at least 4 different accounts, which is severely affecting my payment history. Are they allowed to report them as separate loans---even though I consolidated? Just want to know before I contact them. It's a fed loan.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Consolidated loans appearing on report as separate accounts

@cr101 wrote:

I'm quite sure that I consolidated my loans before I defaulted. However, they're now showing on my report as at least 4 different accounts, which is severely affecting my payment history. Are they allowed to report them as separate loans---even though I consolidated? Just want to know before I contact them. It's a fed loan.

It should be showing as a single consolidated loan if you consolidated all of your loans together (sometimes people only consolidate some of their loans).   You can check your file at nslds.ed.gov, which should show you which loans were consolidated and when.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 15
Mookey67
Contributor

How far in advance of defaulting did you apply for consolidation and are you sure the consolidation was completed before they defaulted? But I agree with Calyx to check nslds
Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agreed with the previous suggestions of checking NSLDS. It's good to know what actually happened. I'm not sure that it means you can change it if it was not processed correctly.
Since your loans are in default and you rehabbed once, if you didn't consolidate the first time, then you can consulate not. I'm not sure whether a previous consolidation affects one in default. Regardless, I think your current options come down to consolidation or what you brought up previously, settlement.
No matter which you choose, your credit will rebound over time (even with 4 loans).
Message 4 of 15
cr101
Established Contributor

Actually, I misread the report. The loans reported weren't in the consolidation. Thanks for the info, though.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a common mistake especially when they split them up. And you'd probably have no idea it happened. They are bad about contact. I'm sorry to hear that!
So the other loans are still in default, correct? Are you going to rehab them? Or did you want to go over the pros and cons of rehabbing vs consolidation?
Just let is know and we'll try to help.
Message 6 of 15
cr101
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So the other loans are still in default, correct? Are you going to rehab them? Or did you want to go over the pros and cons of rehabbing vs consolidation?
Just let is know and we'll try to help.

i can't rehab any of my loans anymore. i'm just going to pay off the 2 smaller loans bc the settlement is equal to about 1 year of the garnishments. iirc from my convo with them, i can make addtl payments on top of the garnishment to remove the default. but, that wouldn't remove the derogs from my credit file. all 3 of my loans are listed as "transferred to other agency/closed". do you know if there are guidelines around fed loans being removed from reports? i'm thinking of asking the original collection agncy to remove it after i show proof that i ultimately paid it off. that would remove 2 out of 3 bad accounts (and leave the big loan that's in forebearance).

Message 7 of 15
Mookey67
Contributor

Unfortunately there are no special guidelines for federal loans.  They won't be removed even if paid off.  They will Stay on your report I believe 10 years after paid or closed but the derogatory info will remain for 7 years from the date of default or transfer to the other agency. You can request a goodwill deletion but I doubt it will be granted.  Sorry because I know that is not what you want to hear.

Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 8 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

Mookey is correct - there is no special way for getting the derogs removed.

The collection accounts will fall off of your report 7y from the DOFD that caused your second default (if they're paid).
You can write for goodwill deletions - I've been lucky to get them (after I brought everything current), but most servicers & guarantors won't delete.    There is no harm in trying, though.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if it's down to just waiting, you could always request an early Exclusion 6 months early from each CB. YMMV but I did see someone get their student loans removed early this way.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.