Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidating school loans through Greatlakes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consolidating school loans through Greatlakes

Hello, I recently consolodated my school loans through greatlakes. Now on my credit report in collections it shows U S DEPT OF ED/GSL/ATL four times with no original creditor, No company sold and a one dollar balance. I was wondering if this was something that I dispute now that the loans are consolodated into one or do I just keep these on my credit until the consolodated loan is paid in full?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consolidating school loans through Greatlakes

You said at consolidated... Is the process finished? If I'm not mistaken, the loan can be picked up by a new Servicer. Is Great Lakes your new servicer or your old one?
I'm not too familiar with the transition but there are a few other recent posts on the topic. Maybe you could ask one of the members who already consolidated.
Good luck.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes consolidated all of my loans into one loan through greatlakes my new provider. With that being said my new loan is on my credit and all of the smaller ones that were consolidated are also still on there with a $1.00 Balance. I will definitely search for some consolidated posts/

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, something about that didn't sound right. I've read here from other members that consolidated loans have been showing up as paid for borrowers. I've never heard anything about $1 balances. I would call your original servicer, then your new one, and the Dept of Education until I got an answer. A dispute might also fix this if you send in the paperwork showing the previous loans paid off by the consolidated loans. There are a few avenues for complaints if you need to take it that far to get it resolved. I'm unsure of the impact to your credit. I can't imagine a balance due on closed loans would be good.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm consolidated though great lakes. All of mine say paid zero balance. Some show the late payments and some dont. I'm trying to get those removed. Worst case they fall if 2 years. Although some lates will fall of this year.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consolidating school loans through Greatlake

I'm consolidated though great lakes. All of mine say paid zero balance. Some show the late payments and some dont. I'm trying to get those removed. Worst case they fall if 2 years. Although some lates will fall of this year.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could always try to dispute them but they are accurately there, so that might not do anything. Those two years will go by like nothing though. Are the worst of them falling off this year or in two years?
Message 7 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

I also have consolidated loans, and they're listed as paid.
The $1 thing is weird.   Honestly, I think disputing them might cause more trouble than it's worth if they're going to fall off of your reports soon.  What is the date of first delinquency with the old lines? 

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I disputed 3 and they messed it up even worse. Tried them to get the status right. They ended up making it look like a brand new claim to government and on file to 2025. I have been working to get that corrected. It's amazing how people have no clue.

I keep getting told they have sent any data to the CRA. Finally emailed the CEO. Got a call from someone today.

Sent her a PDF of all the accounts. So she can see the differences..hopefully she understands how to read them.

They all seem pretty clueless which amazes me . Next step is file a complaint and have an attorney send a letter.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's absolutely ridiculous!! Unfortunately, I've come to know the same level of service from my servicer. If you can't resolve it through them, next you have to file a complaint with the Ombudsman. You can find the contract information through the Dept of Education or I can give you the link. Some people get out resolved through them. When that was finished, I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, CFPB. I have a long detailed narrative with as many dates, names as I had written down. I uploaded copies of everything and then some. It takes a while but it was so worth it. It lit a fire under then and they corrected my account within a week. If course the manual correction cause another serious error with my account, but at least the fixed the first problem, lol!
You might not be able to get lates removed but they can at least fix it so that it's reporting as paid. I've never heard of $1 reporting and it would only look like a brand new loan as a new entry due to consolidation (which doesn't change the old timeline's dates).
Keep us updated and let me know if I can help you with something. Good luck.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.