cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulted SL and CA

LaHossBoss
Senior Contributor

Defaulted SL and CA

so I have many defaulted SLs and with 3 different servicers (maybe 4?), as some of you may know already.

This may be long, but to get the whole picture, you may have to bear through it!

I am getting very confused, though, at which loans belong where because once they default they go to CAs and most were marked "assigned to government" or something of the sort.

Now for my major issue:

I have 5 SLs with NMSL (reporting also with NMSLGC as the default servicer/CA and 180 Resolutions is their in-house CA I am working with) and set up rehab with the 180 resolutions. No problem, I just finished month 5 of that.

I also set up rehab for fed loans that were being serviced by Wells Fargo, but when defaulted went to ECMC. I set up rehab with them and also just completed month 5 with them.

I have other loans, I believe through FedLoan and they went to the US Dept of ED for collections. I thought the CA working for them was Action Financial Services and have had extreme difficulty setting up rehab with them over 6 months now, so just put it on the back burner for the time being. The balances seemed to add up and thought nothing of it. This may have been a blessing in disguise as you will find out more below.

Then I received a letter from Action Financial Services saying they were collecting for NMSL??? And that amount is very similar to both what is owed to FedLoans as well as the amount due to the NMSL consolidation loan! (I originally got a judgement for this consolidation loan with NMSL and I guess that it may have went back to the US Dept of ED since it says "claim filed with government"?)

So now this leaves me very confused as I have set up rehab with NMSL and it includes this consolidation loan.

Why would I pay it twice

Where are my other loans with FedLoan?

Do I actually have other loans? I checked on Student Aid website and this is the info I have, but now it seems to be all a mess when it seems so straight forward on the Student Aid website.

I have no access to the old paperwork (some as old as 20 years) and my mail forwarding from my home address yield me about 10% of my actual mail which is super irritating.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or experience? I suppose with getting a judgement or when it says "assigned to government" or "claim filed with government" on the CRs?

If I am paying NMSL I just don't see why I would be paying this other CA and I wonder where the heck the other loans went!? When I call the US Dept of ED about the Fed Loans, it directs me Action Financial Services and they have the NMSL consolidation loan!

Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 651] [F9 651] [EQ5 684] [VS3 630] | TU [F8 717] [F9 692] [TU4 723] [VS3 639] | EX [F8 718] [F9 673] [EX2 681] [VS3 675]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU [X] EX

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 661] [F9 622] [EQ5 677] [VS3 646] | TU [F8 705] [F9 673] [TU4 639] [VS3 627] [VS4 666] | EX [F8 719] [F9 708] [EX2 679] [VS3 665]

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Defaulted SL and CA

1)   your NSLDS file should tell you who the loans officially "belong" to.
2)   have you contacted the companies to see what either one says?  I'd be on the phone with the ones I'm rehabbing through to find out what's going on there for sure.    I know my rehabs went through the collection agencies, so they shouldn't have been "reassigned" unless there was some kind of erroneous glitch.    If the loan was reassigned somehow, pull out your rehab information and beat them over the head with it.

(sorry, dealing with a medical insurance mis-billing problem, and I'm feeling feisty towards companies wanting more money than they're supposed to collect).

F8 EQ: 809 | EX: 802 | TU: 805 | Accounts: 1/6 4/12 6/24
Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 3
LaHossBoss
Senior Contributor

Re: Defaulted SL and CA

@calyx wrote:

1)   your NSLDS file should tell you who the loans officially "belong" to.
2)   have you contacted the companies to see what either one says?  I'd be on the phone with the ones I'm rehabbing through to find out what's going on there for sure.    I know my rehabs went through the collection agencies, so they shouldn't have been "reassigned" unless there was some kind of erroneous glitch.    If the loan was reassigned somehow, pull out your rehab information and beat them over the head with it.

(sorry, dealing with a medical insurance mis-billing problem, and I'm feeling feisty towards companies wanting more money than they're supposed to collect).

Yes, I called both and when I set up rehab with 180 resolutions (thru NMSL), the consolidation loan was included in the rehab plan.

I had previously received a judgment many years ago on this SL, which has since been removed from my CRs along with the mass removal of judgements back in 2017.

NSLD states the phone number to call for each group of loans and for the US dept of ED I got directed to Action Financial Services. Luckily they were difficult to set up rehab and I have not been able to yet. Then I get a letter from Action Financial Services and it shows NMSL (same place 180 resolutions is collecting for) as the OC! When I call they just say they are "collecting for the US Dept of ED". It is so confusing!

They loans have been defaulted many years and show "assigned to government" or "filed claim with government for covered amount" and such on my CRs for the NMSL loans, including the consolidated loan.

It is clear to me that they are both trying to collect. Action Financial Services are not on my CRs and I wonder if it is because they are double collecting to attempt to get the money since I did get a judgement on this consolidation loan.

I will call NMSL again to see why someone else is also collecting on this consolidation loan, but then it makes me wonder if I actually owe those TLs on my CRs from the US Dept of ED or if they are just the broken down loans from the consolidation loan with NMSL. To me that is double reporting and double collecting...

Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 651] [F9 651] [EQ5 684] [VS3 630] | TU [F8 717] [F9 692] [TU4 723] [VS3 639] | EX [F8 718] [F9 673] [EX2 681] [VS3 675]

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 661] [F9 622] [EQ5 677] [VS3 646] | TU [F8 705] [F9 673] [TU4 639] [VS3 627] [VS4 666] | EX [F8 719] [F9 708] [EX2 679] [VS3 665]

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.