Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulted Student Loan

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Defaulted Student Loan

Hello,

I was looking on credit karma and myfico and neither one is showing a student  loan that I defaulted on.. I would be really nice if it dropped off permanently  but probably wishful thinking.  I still owe about 400.00 which is  getting taken out of my payroll checks.  Should I pull my credit report and once the loan is paid off am I suppose to call them and tell them it is paid off so they don't continue to take money out I no longer owe?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Defaulted Student Loan

What type of loan is this?  Federal or private?

Are you making voluntary automatic payments, or are you being garnished?  Who are you making the payments to?

Message 2 of 7
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

It is a federal loan, I assumed it is the DOE that is garnishing my wages.. Can the collection agency do the garnishing?

Message 3 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

Yes, it's possible that your loan was assigned to a collection agency and they are handling your garnishment.  You can check the National Student Loan Data System to see who holds the loan.

Message 4 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

Yes, it's possible that your loan was assigned to a collection agency and they are handling your garnishment.  You can check the National Student Loan Data System to see who holds the loan.

Message 5 of 7
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the help, I will look into it. One other question. Do I call them or do they report to my employer when the loan is paid in full?

Message 6 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

They should report to your employer when it's paid in full, but it can't hurt to call and try to speed up that notification process.  Depending on how helpful/accessible your payroll folks are, they might even be willing to do some legwork in order to minimize any overpayment.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.