Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulting on my consolidated student loans to get rehab

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Defaulting on my consolidated student loans to get rehab

Hi! About a year ago I consolidated my student loans and they are in good standing now. But as I read more I guess I should’ve rehabbed them. I was thinking about defaulting on those loans to get into loan rehabilitation. Is it worth the effort?
My current scores are TU 650 EX 620 EQ 627
I have two CC, auto loan, paid loan with Self Lender and bunch of closed CC in good standing.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Defaulting on my consolidated student loans to get rehab

The benefit of rehabbing is that the default is removed from your record and sometimes people have had success with getting the lates removed. You would retain the oldest tradelines for many people. Unfortunately when you chose to rehab you were granted a brand new loan at 100% utilization. You got out quickly rather than the 9-10 payments that would be required by rehabbing. They don't really explain it or your option well. Even if you could default to rehab this time, and I'm not sure if you can or can't, you've already lost the benefit. You'll just get new delinquencies on your new loan and it will be that much longer before they fall off. Not to mention that your score will tank again due to the default. Rehabbing is great but consolidation is also a good option. I would just take it with a grain of salt and work on your profile. Your score will improve now that you consolidated, you just have to be patient.
How are you on understanding the payment plans? Having consolidated, you'll probably be only able to choose an Income-driven repayment (IDR) plan. Any questions?
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Defaulting on my consolidated student loans to get rehab

Thank you. I guess it’s not worth it. Will just work on the rest of my profile and wait until it falls off. Should be off my reports in 3 more years.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.