Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled Vet Total and Permanent Discharge of Student Loans Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disabled Vet Total and Permanent Discharge of Student Loans Question

I am a disabled vet with 100% service connected disability.  On March 25th, 2021, I submitted my TPD application to the US Department of Education and to this day, the application remains in the status of "Application Under Review".  It's been almost six months!  Is this normal?  It used to only take 2 or 3 months for the process so I'd like to know if TPD's are taking longer right now, or if this may be a sign that there is some sort of issue with my application though I have received no correspondence from the Dept of Education or Nelnet to indicate this.

I will say that the balances on my student loans listed on my Dept. of Education application are all zeroed out to reflect a balance for all (there are 12 separate loans) as $0.00.  Is this a sign that the loans will be wiped? To be fair, the $0 balances have been there for a couple months, yet the old full balances are still reporting on all three credit reports, which were last reported August 31st, 2021.  If anyone has any insight about the current TPD process and can provide some guidance, I would be eternally grateful!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disabled Vet Total and Permanent Discharge of Student Loans Question

If you can get the documents to prove for the loan forgiveness (from myfedloan ?)  or whichever office you are in contact with. Make copies and mail them to the credit bureaus with a cover letter to each of one. You can also use the online version to upload your documents. However, call the credit bureaus again regading your problems and get the actual contact. You don't want to send your PII to a wrong people.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disabled Vet Total and Permanent Discharge of Student Loans Question

What I'm saying is that after six months of filing my TPD application with the dept of Education, it still says "under review" as the application status.  So I have not been approved yet for a TPD.  My question was if 6 months or more to process TPD applications is now the norm due to covid, or is this an abnormally long timeframe for TPDs to be processed.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.