cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover reporting incorrectly on all 3 B's.

tag
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Discover reporting incorrectly on all 3 B's.

Has anyone else had issues with Discover Student Loans reporting as an Unsecured loan on their report(s)? 

At first, they were reporting as an Unsecured loan on all 3 B's, however I called them and 2 weeks later they fixed it, kind of...They fixed TU and EQ, however Experian is still listed as Unsecured. Funny enough, I only need it fixed on EX as that's where my creditor pulls for me to ReFi. 

I already disputed with Ex and awaiting for their response. Discover said they've done all they could on their end. I can't ReFi unless Ex shows it listed as a student loan!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SarahJo
Established Contributor

Re: Discover reporting incorrectly on all 3 B's.

Discover student loans...mine are reporting as a "cell phone or utility collection" (never had either) soley on Experian, and I've been trying to get it corrected for YEARS!  Cheers to being persistent, let us know how the dispute goes as I'm very curious! I'm not poking the bear anymore because they're due to fall off soon, but neither they nor Ex have been any help in the coding :-(

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 2 of 10
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@SarahJo wrote:

Discover student loans...mine are reporting as a "cell phone or utility collection" (never had either) soley on Experian, and I've been trying to get it corrected for YEARS!  Cheers to being persistent, let us know how the dispute goes as I'm very curious! I'm not poking the bear anymore because they're due to fall off soon, but neither they nor Ex have been any help in the coding :-(

WOW. That's discouraging. What does your Discover student loans report as on TU and EQ?

That totally bites. Navient is willing to re-fi both my student loans at 3.5% but they wont as long as my Discover Student loans is listed as an unsecured loan. Whats funny is, the title of my unsecured loan is called DISCOVER STUDENT LOANS.  It's just that their system pulls all the Education loans into one category to give you the re-fi. Le Sigh......

Message 3 of 10
SarahJo
Established Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@SarahJo wrote:

WOW. That's discouraging. What does your Discover student loans report as on TU and EQ?

That totally bites. Navient is willing to re-fi both my student loans at 3.5% but they wont as long as my Discover Student loans is listed as an unsecured loan. Whats funny is, the title of my unsecured loan is called DISCOVER STUDENT LOANS.  It's just that their system pulls all the Education loans into one category to give you the re-fi. Le Sigh......

Only one of these loans reported on another CB, TU and says "Discover Bnk-Sudent Lns," and reported properly.  I was able to get an EE, so that is no longer reporting, thus me not taking it any further and letting them fall off.  On EX multiple are reporting, are named "Discover Financial Services."  Every time I call, the rep says they are cell phone or utility bill related, aopiewaonvpiunzlkdmvksdfgrmph!  Things like this definitely make a difference, as from what I've learned, student loans hold a different weight on a CR and score...which explains my Ex score in the siggy...

EDIT: I would say my first call was 2+ years ago (and another 4 months ago)...I disputed via online twice after the initial call. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, have you tried the CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)? I've found filling a complaint on there very helpful.
Message 5 of 10
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Update: Experian finally reported it as Education Loan! Hurray!

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great! Good luck on the re-fi!
Message 7 of 10
SarahJo
Established Contributor

That’s great!!!

Message 8 of 10
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

OMG, my Discover Student Loan has returned back to an Unsecured Loan on my TU report (the other 2 still good so far). WOW, WTH.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Superkirby: lol! They just won't leave it alone, will they?!?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.