Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Pell Grant.

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Disputing Pell Grant.

I was told that the school reports that the pell grant is owed to the DOE,is this true? On my records it is showing I owe a amount for a college at I went to in 2003. Of course I don't remember that far back so I call the college and they show nothing about me even going there. Can I dispute this collection since they have no proof I owe any money?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Disputing Pell Grant.

A Pell GRANT is just that a grant (purposed gift per se) that does NOT have to be paid back like a student loan. I assume there was no fraud or default such as taking the funds but not attending class which would be handled by the Dept of Education, not the school. 

http://www2.ed.gov/programs/fpg/index.html   and   http://ticas.org/blog/-/104

Edit/Add: Due to my employment I have mixed feeling on Pell Grants, but I won't get into that.

Message 2 of 7
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

If you accept the Pell grant but do not complete up to 70 percent of the semester they can and will ask you to pay the money back and it will be owed to the college you went to so if you did get the grant but didn't complete the semester then yes it would he valid .
Message 3 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

I would contact the Department of Education.  The school you attended may no longer have records of this but I guarantee the DOE does.  I went through something similar where my pell was over disbursed to the University of Phoenix.  Sure enough it was reflecting on my reports and was updating until I paid it.  I paid it and it was removed after 30 days or so.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 7
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

I didn't finish even half due to medical reasons. DOE is reporting it.
Message 5 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@cjane1 wrote:
I didn't finish even half due to medical reasons. DOE is reporting it.

There ya go....

Message 6 of 7
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Cjane1

If your reason for dropping was Medical contact DOE and tell them. You will have to provide proof of the condition and if you were hospitalized those records or if a doctor ordered bedrest no activity then a letter from them. You should have been asked for that by the school but who knows if it was put in the file.

Please note I am saying the following because your screen name indicates you are a woman. If the illness was  bedrest related to a pregnancy, it will be an easy fix. bed rest is a common order for many women with difficult pregnancies. I am not asking your medical history, just pointing out that is an easy fix as is diagnosed depresssion. Other like chemo are easy too.

Good luck

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.