Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing with Sallie Mae

tag
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Disputing with Sallie Mae

Hey everyone,

In the past I had succes in disputing some lates with SM and once it reached their executive office they did remove them once they realized it was an error on their part.

However, they failed to remove 2 60 day lates from 1/2009 (2 loans). I know this was 4 years ago and maybe not effecting me too much, but I just realized...and I dont know why I didnt before...I was in school half time from jan-may...as I graduated in May 2009. I wonder why this was not realized on their end? Doesn't the University usually transmit information to the student loan companies?

I'll have to find a transcript...but if I can prove I was in school half time I should have a decent case at getting them removed as they should have been deferred, right?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Disputing with Sallie Mae

@Kozmo wrote:

Hey everyone,

In the past I had succes in disputing some lates with SM and once it reached their executive office they did remove them once they realized it was an error on their part.

However, they failed to remove 2 60 day lates from 1/2009 (2 loans). I know this was 4 years ago and maybe not effecting me too much, but I just realized...and I dont know why I didnt before...I was in school half time from jan-may...as I graduated in May 2009. I wonder why this was not realized on their end? Doesn't the University usually transmit information to the student loan companies?

I'll have to find a transcript...but if I can prove I was in school half time I should have a decent case at getting them removed as they should have been deferred, right?

That is the key word right there.  Yes, usually they do, but sometimes they are slow to do it, or don't do it at all, & it's up to us as the borrowers to nag them & make sure it gets done, or notify the lenders ourselves.  I think if you have actual proof that you were in school, & maybe even get the university to back you up, then yes, I would think (but can't guarantee!) that you would be able to get the lates removed.

Message 2 of 3
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Re: Disputing with Sallie Mae

that is what I am exactly fighting right now with Sallie Mae, same issue.  I had to prove that I was in school due to wrong date of graduation.  I had to send them my transcript/and proof of registration history.  That started a ripple effect, which caused me to file for unemployment deferrment, but they still report 3 lates, which didn't make sense.  I had to dispute and fax them a goodwill letter to investigate.  I am waiting to hear back.  I never been late on the loan.  You should have a decent case, just order either your transcript or get the university to give you a registration  history with the seal, that should be sufficient.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.