cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does deferment or forbearance change DOLD?

tag
rosco75
Regular Contributor

Does deferment or forbearance change DOLD?

Does a forebearance or deferment update the account to where it changes the DOLD? I have a student loan that was C/O way back in like 2005 that just keeps poping up as a tradeline een though there is a zero balance. The thing is - it says the date opened is 2010, maybe years after I had even had the loan. Im thinking it may have gone into forebearance at that time or something, is this why dates keep changing? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Does deferment or forbearance change DOLD?

I'm not sure what DOLD stands for (Date of Last Delinquency?)

Forebearance/Deferment doesn't change any of the dates.   When you say C/O - I assume it was defaulted, but was it ever brought current?

If not, that might be the date the account was turned over to collections/a servicer for collection.
If you pull your file from studentaid.gov, that might explain what happened (my loan was so old that with all of the changes that happened with Congress, it was actually consolidated and made into new loans a couple of times).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 4
rosco75
Regular Contributor

@calyx wrote:

I'm not sure what DOLD stands for (Date of Last Delinquency?)

Forebearance/Deferment doesn't change any of the dates.   When you say C/O - I assume it was defaulted, but was it ever brought current?

If not, that might be the date the account was turned over to collections/a servicer for collection.
If you pull your file from studentaid.gov, that might explain what happened (my loan was so old that with all of the changes that happened with Congress, it was actually consolidated and made into new loans a couple of times).

It was discharged through TPD discharge. I just dont understand why these loans which are almost 20 years old stay on my credit report. They make up 98% of my late payment history and it ittitates me to no end that they are on there after so much time. 

Message 3 of 4
calyx
Super Contributor

It will most likely fall off ~10y from the discharge date.   The lates should age off at 7y (like normal).
I would take it to the student loan company or dispute it with the CRAs if lates older than 7y are still showing.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.