cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does paying in full reset drop-off timeline for student loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does paying in full reset drop-off timeline for student loans?

Hi,

I just started my credit rebuild after a bankruptcy and I have a student loan question I can't seem to get an answer to, and I'm hoping someone here has gone through this and can help me.

My student loan is due to drop off my credit report in 2 years according to all 3 CRA's. I want to pay it in full (I explored rebuild process but did not qualify due to income). I have the money to pay it off but here is my question:

What happens to the my credit report once they report that it is paid in full?

A) It still drops off in 2 years.

B) The timeline is now reset and it stays on as now paid in full (for 7 years), but with all the bad delinquent information still there

C) the bad info still drops off in 2 years, but the paid in full status stays on for another 7

D) some other outcome I am not familiar with.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does paying in full reset drop-off timeline for student loans?

I would say that the payment would refresh the reporting time, but I don't know know enough to answer for sure. Since you are asking about your credit report, having this moved to one of those more active topics might give you a better answer.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just realized what I said was unclear. I think it's C but someone else could probably answer better. I know there are special reporting requirements for some student loans.
I think it's a great accomplishment that you will be paying it off. It will only help improve your credit report in the long run to have that debt paid. Congrats!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.