Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECSI late removed due to deferment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ECSI late removed due to deferment?

I have two small student loans serviced by ECSI.  In mid February I set up an automatic bank draft, and I thought it would be applied to my Feb payment, but it automatically started on the first of March and applied it to the March 15th payment instead of the February 15th outstanding balance.  This caused my account to become late and I did not realize it until July, at which time I immediately paid the late balance and checked my credit.  Well, just on June 24 they reported one of the loans $14 past due for June (still not sure why one is negative and one isn't, since they are both paid together).  This dropped my Equifax and Experian scores 100 points!  I called them to find out what had even happened, which is when they explained the Feb/March payment issue but said they couldn't fix the credit report.  I was offered rehab.

I asked to speak to someone else and a supervisor said "good news, it's going to all go away July 17 anyway."  Turns out when I registered for some summer classes in June, it automatically prompted a deferment that backdated to May 17 (the start of the first summer session).  So, the supervisor said that the information was already set to be reported to the credit bureaus on the 17th of July (he says they can only interface with the credit bureau once a month) and that it would backdate my June payment history to be in deferment, which means it can't be late, and the negative payment will be removed.

I have serious trust issues when it comes to this stuff, so should I believe this guy?  He sent me a brief letter stating this, so I have that and his contact info.  Should I dispute it in the meantime?  I want to, because I was thinking maybe the bureaus will contact ECSI and since they supposedly have this info already, maybe they will respond quickly and I will get it resolved before the 17th and not worry about it.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: ECSI late removed due to deferment?

If you have something in writing, I would wait until a week past July 17th and see if they make good on their promise.  If not, a follow-up call would be in order.  If they try to go back on what they said, then you could do a dispute with your letter.  I would be concerned at this point that filing a dispute might cause more harm than good - if the deferment isn't fully entered in their system yet, they may verify the information, or only change some of the information and interfere with getting all of the reporting correct.

I think the best policy is having a lender make one change at a time, so let this process go through, and then if it doesn't give you the promised result, follow up.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update  in case anyone has a similar question one day... I am very impatient and we were in the process of getting a mortgage preapproval so I decided to try the dispute.  I disputed with Experian on Tuesday evening and this morning (Friday) I got an email that my credit report was updated.  They did update my account so that it was never late.  Yay!  I disputed with Equifax Wednesday so hopefully this will all be taken care of soon.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

...and I just got an email (late Friday, early Saturday) that my Equifax report was ready and they also deleted the late.  It hadn't showed up on TU yet, so hopefully if it does it will go as smoothly, or it will update as of the 17th anyway.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.