Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI NO MORE DIRECT LOANS

tag
stillworking
New Contributor

FYI NO MORE DIRECT LOANS

Apparently, direct loans is no longer servicing federal student loans.  All accounts have been transferred to other servicers.  There is no one available to fix errors and all disputes need to be done through the actual credit bureaus. Fortunately, nelnet has access to my account information and is sending me a letter that I was in deferment when a +120 day late payment was posted.  My question is when this is fixed, how long will it take to show on my credit report and what kind of score boost could I be looking for since it was posted incorrectly on TWO accounts.

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: FICO EQ 790, TU 696, EX 683
Goal Score:
700+ across the board

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
dta
New Contributor

Re: FYI NO MORE DIRECT LOANS

The "Direct Loan Servicing Center" was run by ACS, which was a Direct Loan servicer whose contract with the Dept of Ed ended and was not renewed. All ACS-serviced loans were transferred to other servicers. Direct Loans are still Direct Loans and loans are still being made under the Direct Loan program. See this link for additional info. I know this doesn't answer your question but I wanted to provide clarification.

Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 2 of 16
stillworking
New Contributor

they do not answer their phone number and the number will no longer be active sometime in november.  I was trying to get a payment error fixed.  But according to nelnet who now has the loan, i am going to have to send the papers to the credit reporting agencies.

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: FICO EQ 790, TU 696, EX 683
Goal Score:
700+ across the board

Message 3 of 16
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

@stillworking wrote:

they do not answer their phone number and the number will no longer be active sometime in november.  I was trying to get a payment error fixed.  But according to nelnet who now has the loan, i am going to have to send the papers to the credit reporting agencies.

Do you have the papers now? Do you have them as hardcopies or electronic format? If you have them in electronic format, you can easily dispute the error online for any credit file you need. If it shows up on each agency, then you are looking at three disputes (one each). Disputes usually take 30 days to process and they will send you a letter letting you know the results. 

If you have a hard copy, there should be instructions on each website on how to send in letters in to dispute. 

Message 4 of 16
chan85
Established Contributor

@dta wrote:

The "Direct Loan Servicing Center" was run by ACS, which was a Direct Loan servicer whose contract with the Dept of Ed ended and was not renewed. All ACS-serviced loans were transferred to other servicers. Direct Loans are still Direct Loans and loans are still being made under the Direct Loan program. See this link for additional info. I know this doesn't answer your question but I wanted to provide clarification.

When were the loans transferred? I only have 1 with them, the rest are with FedLoan, but haven't heard anything or received paperwork about it being transferred?

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 5 of 16
shootingstar_81
Valued Member

I was advised in November 2013 that since Direct Loans Servicing is no longer that when you dispute the account they will not respond. I disputed all of the past delinquent accounts as "not mine" and they were ALL deleted! This was awesome however I wish I has disputed as "never late"  as removing them causedmyAAOA to drop. So make sure to dispute as "never late"!

Starting Score: EX 651 EQ 597 TU 699
Current Score: EX 672 EQ 640 TU 656
Goal Score: TU EX EQ 700 by 2015

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 16
Bill2265
Valued Member

Funny you mention that. I JUST finished disputed all my Dept of Ed loans and all the past payment history was deleted but the loans remained. I checked the box "I never paid this account late" worked like a charm! They deleted about 26 late payments total from five different tradelines. I tried the same "trick" with Edfinancial and they verified the late payments and also put the account description BACK to collection account AND 120 past due. SO i had to call customer service and have her put everything back the way it was post rehab. Just FYI

Message 7 of 16
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Bill2265 wrote:

I tried the same "trick" with Edfinancial and they verified the late payments and also put the account description BACK to collection account AND 120 past due. SO i had to call customer service and have her put everything back the way it was post rehab. Just FYI

A perfect example of why disputing information that is correct can result in unintended side effects.  It's also not really honest to dispute accounts as "not mine" that did belong to you, or "never paid late" when they were indeed late and that information can still be legally reported.  I don't think that's the right thing to do.

Message 8 of 16
SoshiHomie84
New Contributor

Just FYI, I know of two other people besides myself who never defaulted but had multiple Direct Loans (for me 9 total) with 4 derogs on each loan. Over the last month we disputed and ALL lates were removed. Technicaly, the lates were correct (with some minor quibbles), but since no one is there to return an answer to the dispute, they get removed. 

So anyone with Direct Loans lates really should dispute becasue they will be taken off your report. Mine showed up like this on the CRs  -- U.S. DEPT OF ED - DIRECT LOANS.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@tomas247 wrote:

Just FYI, I know of two other people besides myself who never defaulted but had multiple Direct Loans (for me 9 total) with 4 derogs on each loan. Over the last month we disputed and ALL lates were removed. Technicaly, the lates were correct (with some minor quibbles), but since no one is there to return an answer to the dispute, they get removed. 

So anyone with Direct Loans lates really should dispute becasue they will be taken off your report. Mine showed up like this on the CRs  -- U.S. DEPT OF ED - DIRECT LOANS.

Good luck!

Disputing valid derogs is considered unethical and a violation of myfico's User Guidelines and TOS.  The advising of such behavior is also prohibited.

Further, lates can be re-inserted at a later time.

~Lexie, myFICO Moderator 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.