Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedloan lates removal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fedloan lates removal?

Has anyone ever had any luck getting lates removed on fedloan via goodwill letter or any other method?

5 REPLIES 5
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Fedloan lates removal?

Some have, but others have not.  This is definitely a YMMV situation.

Here are a couple of suggestions.  Were the lates during a period where you may have been in school and there should have been a deferment?  Did they happen during a period that may qualify you for a forebearance, i.e. lost job, collection financial assistance from the state, etc?  These may be some options that if true, could help get the late removed as no payment would have been due during that time.

If it doesn't fall into the deferment or forebearance category, I would still try the goodwill letter.  The only thing they can do is say no, and you are no worse off than you are now.  But don't be discouraged.  While the late will hurt for a little while, it will continue to impact your score less and less as it ages and is replaced with an ontime payment history.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!. ill keep trying. I think I will try the Saturation Method and see how that works for me

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

Some have, but others have not.  This is definitely a YMMV situation.

Here are a couple of suggestions.  Were the lates during a period where you may have been in school and there should have been a deferment?  Did they happen during a period that may qualify you for a forebearance, i.e. lost job, collection financial assistance from the state, etc?  These may be some options that if true, could help get the late removed as no payment would have been due during that time.

If it doesn't fall into the deferment or forebearance category, I would still try the goodwill letter.  The only thing they can do is say no, and you are no worse off than you are now.  But don't be discouraged.  While the late will hurt for a little while, it will continue to impact your score less and less as it ages and is replaced with an ontime payment history.

Thank you!!. ill keep trying. I think I will try the Saturation Method and see how that works for me

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! 

Have you had any luck since then? I am starting the process and any advice would be awesome! 

Good luck Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 6
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

If Navient or Sallie Mae service the loans they are pretty forgiving after 12 on time payments. You just have to get the right person on the phone or by GW'ing them. I talked to someone when I was fixing my credit and 12 months later after paying on time, they followed through and removed the negative months from my credit reports. Blank months are better than bad months. 

@misterdarci

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.