Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling absolutely hopeless in the new year

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Feeling absolutely hopeless in the new year

I understand that the subject line is a bit dismal in tone, but in  short, I've even been denied for a secured credit card. My credit score has been utterly tanked relative to how it was before.

There is this rogue student loan for $4000 from the State on my account. It had become a charge off, I think. It has some payments on it, then the payments just stop. The account is now closed delinquent.

Sounds normal until I mention the fact that I never saw a promissary note or signed anything relating to a loan. It's even more annoying considering I have all on-time payments and great records with all my other accounts. 

I was not speaking to my parents during the time this loan was taken out, 2013. At that time I was living on my own. I graduated in '14. I'm so frustrated. I never got phone calls, bills through the mail or e-mail or anything. Nobody told me about this and I have no documents to prove that I didn't take it out because, as I've said, I did not get any documentation through the mail. Yes, now I know it sounds extremely suspect and it ssounds like I'm lying. That's another reason why Ifeel so upset about this.

Just for bg info, I do have other loans that I signed for. I went into an office with my parents and I knew fully what I was signing for then. I mentioned before that those loans were fine. I recently consolidated them but that's about as interesting as that bit gets.

I don't know what to do or where to start. It all feels incredibly hopeless. I just need to take the first step, but I don't know what that is. Help or kind words is appreciated. 

PS happy new year, everyone

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: Feeling absolutely hopeless in the new year

Contact whoever is reporting this on your credit report.  Ask them to send you proof of the signed loan docs.  I think that's a good place to start.

Things are never completely hopeless.  Sometimes when ppl feel down they are really just tired.  So take a nap or watch a movie and you may feel stronger afterward.  

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Feeling absolutely hopeless in the new year

Thought I should update this post. I contacted the loan servicer and requested a copy of the promisory note. I'm really interested in what I'll see on it.

Meanwhile, I got a debt collection letter from the collections agency. That's odd for me because, well, I should've gotten one a while ago perhaps.

I'm wondering if I should wait for the promisory note to come in the mail or send a debt validation letter immediately. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.