cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a student loan without cosigner - help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a student loan without cosigner - help!

I'm in the odd situation of being an adult (33) returning to school for my B.A. and unable to get a student loan without a cosigner, but I don't have anyone to be a cosigner. Any recommendations? I've done the FAFSA but my income puts me just a little too high to be eligible for much based on "need." I've been improving my credit for the past few years, and it recently spiked to 750+ but has recently leveled out at 695. I've tried applying for a mere $5,000 student loan (Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo) but on both it said I have to apply with a cosigner.

Any recommendations? Loans that don't require a co-signer? Other options?

Thanks so much from a desparate student!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Getting a student loan without cosigner - help!

You probably do not qualify for a grant, but if you do not already have a degree, then you should likely qualify for federal student loans through Sallie Mae, or Direct Loans.  Have you talked with your school's Financial Aid department about federal loans?

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are an undergrad there are Pell grants.  You might look into the workstudy program as well, but if as you say you cannot get a student loan without a cosigner, then you probably won't get one without a cosigner.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback! I finally found a co-signer and got a "regular" (not student) loan through my local bank. My income is just enough to exempt me from Pell Grants, and Sallie Mae wanted a co-signer. I really appreciate the responses though! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! I finally found a co-signer and got a "regular" (not student) loan through my local bank. My income is just enough to exempt me from Pell Grants, and Sallie Mae wanted a co-signer. I really appreciate the responses though! Smiley Happy

Did you not qualify for Federal Student loans?

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.