Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good will question

tag
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

Good will question

I want to try a good will but not sure who I should send the goodwill too. My original loan was serviced by salliemae and was transferred and closed in 2012 to dept of education. I have a few lates on the original loan before it was transferred and also have a couple lates after the transfer with dept of education. The loan later became navient. For the last 3 years i kept my payments up and the loan was paid of in march of this year. I want to try a good will but not sure who I should send to.. Should I send one to salliemae and one to dept of education or would I need to send just one to Navient ? With the transfers and name changes i'm confused on who I should contact.

Starting Fico scores 6/29/1013
Experian 584 / Equifax 639 / TransUnion 598
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Good will question

A lender can only change information that they are reporting, so you should your goodwills to the lender actually doing the reporting.  In your case, it sounds like you have lates from Sallie Mae and the DoE, so send GWs to both of them.  It's possible that Sallie Mae may direct you to contact Navient because Navient has taken over most of their federal loan portfolio recently.  I'm guessing that the reporting/verifying of details on loans that were closed before the transition have stayed with Sallie Mae though if that is how they are listed on your report.

Message 2 of 5
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

Hey Thanks for the reply. I'm getting ready to get started on this now.. I called Navient today and they have the entire loan. The lady I spoke with was a witch. She said they was no such thing as a goodwill adjustment to a federal loan and I would had to wait 10 years for the late payments to fall off. We just about got in a argument saying yes they was and no they wasn't. She reacted as if it made her mad that i asked about a goodwill..I told her i had seen people on the credit boards having sucess with their student loans and she said they can say anything but no such thing for federal student loans. I couldnt believe she thought she was so right and I was so wrong. I hung up and called back and got a hold of a nice lady that was totally different then the first one. We talked about my loan and she advised me to send a copy of my credit report in. I mention a goodwill and she said she couldn't say if they would grant one or not but It didnt hurt to try. She told me to write a letter about it and send it with the credit report to the claims department.. I asked had she heard of goodwills since she has been there and she said had but it wasnt often. Even with that said I still don't have a lot hope but I will never know if I don't try. So i'm still deciding on how to go about it. From my understanding Dept of education owns the loans and salliemae was who serviced them. Do you think I should try to good will dept of education and see if maybe they can help me, instead of sending a goodwill to navient claims department ? This is my first ever goodwill attempt and want to make sure I send it to the right people and right department.

Message 3 of 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

Do as the second CSR said and send in your letter.  If Navient is handling the reporting, they are the only ones who can adjust the reporting.  I don't think there's any reason to involve the DoE here - they would only step in to help if Navient did something wrong.

Message 4 of 5
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

Okay thank you for the reply. I'm going to get something wrote up and get this mailed out to them. Will post back if I have any luck.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.