Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government Shutdown Affecting Loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Government Shutdown Affecting Loans?

So I am trying to contact my loan servicer for my Perkins loans and since their website ed.gov (Debt Management) seems to be part of the government, I can't get any information right now. I have to wait until Monday to see if anyone answers the phone or not. Anyone else having trouble?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Government Shutdown Affecting Loans?

It's showing me that the security certificate is expired, but I can still get into the site.
I can also get into studentaid.ed.gov and nslds.ed.gov.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To my knowledge, there isn't a servicer that is actually part of the government. They decided to no longer service loans since years ago so they contract out to private companies.
If these companies cannot be contacted due to the shutdown, it's not because they are cut off.
My suggestion would be to use the Dept of Education to find the direct website for the servicer and contact them during business hours. If you list the servicer, someone might be able to help you find that information.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

On my credit report, it lists as US DepartmentofEd/Gsl/Atl and says "Student loan permanently assigned to government"
There are 3 of them and I am eligible to get some of the balance forgiven due to teaching (15% per year) but I cant figure out who to contact.
I am wondering if it isn't Heartland/ECSI...

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might try the National Student Loan Database, NSLDS website. They tend to have more specific information as to where the loan is especially after it has been transferred. Sometimes they might be a servicer behind if recent but much easier to find out that way imo.
I could always be mistaken though and it really is with the Dept of Education...
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to go to that website as well. It lists the original creditor (the college), and then says it was transferred permanently to the government.
I am going to call the school tomorrow, hopefully someone there has some contacts somewhere.
Thanks so much for your help!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmm, maybe it is with them then. The only other thing I can think of is to check your statement to see who the monthly payments go to. Or the monthly bill.
You've probably got the right idea of where to start. Hope it's fruitful but if not, hopefully this will all be over in a week or so anyway.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.