Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Lakes-Goodwill Success!!!!!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Lakes-Goodwill Success!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All!!!!

I figured I would post the success I had trying to goodwill a 90-119 late from Great Lakes. I have a few people i need to thank dearly. After doing some research for goodwill success from Great lakes I found a few post about it. 

After coming across SSweety's post about her success i decided to give her method a shot. So I logged into my account and contacted them directly via messaging. The link to her post below. 

(For some reason it will not let me post with the link attached)

Before I sent a message I researched further for letter that people have sent and were successful. The letter I sent was a mark up of the letter dparhanr.  The link to the post from dparhanr below.

GOODWILL SUCCESS! 90 day late Great Lakes. - myFICO® Forums - 4469765

"Hello, you are the servicer of a small student loan that helped me through school. I have kept an on-time payment history for the past few years with the exception of one late 90+ day late. I regret letting go this happen and have made it a priority to never let it happen again. I am being sure to make my payments and am trying to pay a little extra every month.

I would do anything to gain forgiveness for it and move on with a more financially responsible chapter of my life.

If there is anything you can do to help me remove this late payment or put me in contact with someone who can help me I would greatly appreciate it."

Regards, 

Michael

(For some reason it will not let me post with the link attached)

This is the response I received from Great Lakes today:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your recent email.

We understand that you are requesting delinquencies reported on your account(s) in the past be removed. 

Based on the forbearance that was retroactively applied to your account(s), we are able to make an adjustment to the delinquency reported 08/2015, which is covered by the dates of your back-dated forbearance. We have instructed the following credit bureaus to remove this information from your payment history: Experian, Equifax, TransUnion and Innovis. Hopefully the bureaus will promptly display these changes to your credit files. Each individual agency determines when the adjusted data will display on your credit files.

Please note that this isn't a guarantee that a correctly reported delinquency will be removed in the future. Please continue to make your payments as scheduled each month, or proactively seek options from us anytime you are in need of repayment assistance. This could prevent future negative credit reporting on your student loan account(s).

If you still have any outstanding questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Sincerely,

Katrina

Borrower Services Department
Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc.
(800) 236-4300 or (608) 246-1700

Again, I would like to thank SSweety and dparhanr for there post about the success that lead to my goodwill success with Great Lakes. 

SSweety & dparhanr if you see this, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: Great Lakes-Goodwill Success!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

I had no issues whatsoever with Great Lakes servicing my student loans.  They may be the best student loan servicer out there.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love that you posted this, I just sent one to them. I had disputed my old loan late be removed from before I rehabilitated with all 3 bureaus and Transunion removed it but the other two would not. I tried them again and failed again. So my transunion is 770 where as Eq is 713 and Ex 709 so its quite a difference but now you motivated me to try again but instead of dispute try the good will route.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I also was able to get lates removed from my single Great Lakes account from 2012/2013 due to "retroactive forbearance". I am however having a hard time with Dept of Ed Nelnet. I have 1 90+ day late in March 2013 on two of my 13 studet loans with them. How the others didnt have a late is beyond me since whenever I did a forbearance or income driven plan it went for ALL my student loans I still cant get the to fix it. 

I am happy you got it taken care of though! It really helps the credit. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@buildingafuture

I know exactly how you feel. I also had a NelNet student loan

with some lates that I just consolidated with Great Lakes due

to their very sensible retroactive forebearance policy.

After chatting with a NelNet rep and confirming that an administrative

forebearance was, in fact, granted to my loans, they still refuse to remove

my lates because 1) I wasn't in school at the time, and 2) I wasn't active duty

military. NelNet very conveniently ignores the point that the primary function

of a forebearance is to convert a late payment to "OK" status which allows them

to legally report my payments to CRA's as paid as agreed. So I'm semi happy

because NelNet will be reporting my loans as "Paid in full by consolidation",

but the lates will remain. NelNet will be including an end of loan survey in the

snail mail confirmation that my loans have been repaid. I'll send that in and

make one last ditch effort to get my lates converted, but I'm not holding my breath.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortuntely I was not as lucky, not sure what to do. Should I wait and email again? Should I wrtite a letter? ;( I shouldve signed up for auto pay. I got a new phone and stopped getting reminders of the payments and just totally forgot. I have 4 credit card, 2 car loans, and not a single payment missed. This basically ruined my credit. ugh

Thank you for your recent email.

We understand that you are requesting delinquencies reported on your account in the past be removed.

The Higher Education Act of 1965 requires that Great Lakes report the status of all serviced student loan accounts to the nationwide Credit Reporting Agencies. Additionally, the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that this information is reported accurately and objectively. We are audited to ensure our compliance with these requirements.

Upon receiving your request for an adjustment to the data that we credit reported on your student loan account, we re-evaluated to ensure no errors were made that would lead to, or result in, inaccurate delinquency reporting (such as misapplication of payments). No such errors were made.

We also reviewed your request for a possible credit adjustment, but unfortunately, you could not be approved for such an adjustment. Please continue to make your payments as scheduled each month, or proactively seek options from us anytime you are in need of repayment assistance. This could prevent future negative credit reporting on your student loan account.

If you have any outstanding questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Angela

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.