cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Lakes Retroactive Forbearance - Still No Update from Credit Bureaus after Two Months

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Established Member

Great Lakes Retroactive Forbearance - Still No Update from Credit Bureaus after Two Months

On 02/01/2019, Great Lakes granted my request for a retroactive forbearance for my delinquencies. It's now April and the lates are still showing on my credit reports. I thought my patience will be rewarded but, at this point, it doesn't seem like my credit files will be updated. Should I start disputing with all three credit bureaus? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. For reference, here's a portion of the e-mail I received from Great Lakes:

"Based on the forbearance that was retroactively applied to your account(s), we are able to make an adjustment to the delinquencies reported 04/2013 - 12/2013, which are covered by the dates of your back-dated forbearance. We have instructed the following credit bureaus to remove this information from your payment history: Experian, Equifax, TransUnion and Innovis. Hopefully the bureaus will promptly display these changes to your credit files. Each individual agency determines when the adjusted data will display on your credit files."

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Established Contributor

Re: Great Lakes Retroactive Forbearance - Still No Update from Credit Bureaus after Two Months

There servicers are sort of slow but I would recommend checking the last reported date on your credit report for the loans.
I've actually never heard of them agreeing to remove the lates; most people get the letter stating that the can't. It's a technicality because you can get them removed by sending the letter to the CB in a dispute. In your case, I would do the same to move the process along. If the CB won't change it, then go back to the servicer (I'm sure you know by now how difficult it is to deal with them.) At worst, you could go to the Ombudsman, then the CFPB but I doubt you'll have to get that far.
Congrats on the retroactive forbearance!

Message 2 of 13
Frequent Contributor

Re: Great Lakes Retroactive Forbearance - Still No Update from Credit Bureaus after Two Months

When I got them to fo s Retroactive Forbearance it only updated on one bureau. I called them and they had me dispute it with the other bureaus. It worked. Within 2 weeks all of the lates were gone.
Great Lakes is great at going back. I went back about 4 years or so because had called and requested and it never happened at the time.
Starting Score: TU 631 - EX 641 - EQ 669
Current Score: TU 716 - EX 731 - EQ 717
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 13
Frequent Contributor

Let us know how it turns out

Message 4 of 13
Established Member

Thanks! I was very surprised when Great Lakes granted my first and only request for a retroactive forbearance. Per Credit Karma, the last reported date for my student loan account is 02/28/2019. I'll check again next week to see if any update was made in March. Hopefully, I don't have to dispute anything.

@Sabii wrote:
There servicers are sort of slow but I would recommend checking the last reported date on your credit report for the loans.
I've actually never heard of them agreeing to remove the lates; most people get the letter stating that the can't. It's a technicality because you can get them removed by sending the letter to the CB in a dispute. In your case, I would do the same to move the process along. If the CB won't change it, then go back to the servicer (I'm sure you know by now how difficult it is to deal with them.) At worst, you could go to the Ombudsman, then the CFPB but I doubt you'll have to get that far.
Congrats on the retroactive forbearance!
Message 5 of 13
Established Member

Well done! When Great Lakes granted your retroactive forbearance request, did they send you an e-mail or mail you a letter? Also, do you remember how long it took for that one credit bureau to update your payment history?

@XtraCredit wrote:
When I got them to fo s Retroactive Forbearance it only updated on one bureau. I called them and they had me dispute it with the other bureaus. It worked. Within 2 weeks all of the lates were gone.
Great Lakes is great at going back. I went back about 4 years or so because had called and requested and it never happened at the time.
Message 6 of 13
Frequent Contributor

Email. About 2 weeks

Message 7 of 13
Highlighted
Established Member

Experian and Equifax are still showing the student loan lates as of 03/31/2019. I just submitted a dispute to both credit bureaus in the hopes of having this resolved in a month. Unfortunately, TransUnion is still showing information from 02/28/2019 so I just have to wait a little longer to see if it's any different.

Message 8 of 13
Established Contributor

Good luck with the disputes. Should be easy with the forbearance letter.
Also, check your account to make sure it reflects as it should during those periods. People have been having some issues with this sometimes. Better to catch it early.

Message 9 of 13
Established Member

Thanks! I just emailed Great Lakes to ask for a copy of my entire payment history (they're only showing information online from the last 12 months). Hopefully, I'll get it some time this week. Thanks for the tip!

@Sabii wrote:
Good luck with the disputes. Should be easy with the forbearance letter.
Also, check your account to make sure it reflects as it should during those periods. People have been having some issues with this sometimes. Better to catch it early.
Message 10 of 13