cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had success with Goodwill letters and Navient?

tag
susantrexel
Valued Member

Has anyone had success with Goodwill letters and Navient?

I have many 120+ late pays. These are private loans. Last late pay was 6 months ago. 

I have $125k in student loan debt between Navient and Mohela. But Navient is only where I have private loans with the extreme late pay amounts. Student loan payments are minimum $1,100 a month. So yes when medical emergencies or other emergencies come up I would not pay my student loans before I would not pay any other bill. I have less than $1,500 credit card debt and no other debts, no auto loan, medical debt or anything (actually I have a $50 collection from a dentist office which I'm disputing. It shows up on my credit report from 2016). I've run out of forebearance a long time ago on both loans.

I have a much better job now. So I've been able to pay on time. I'm looking to get a mortgage in late 2020. I see where FHA requires 12 months of no late pays. 

However, I was going to try to send a goodwill letter to see if maybe they would be willing to knock off a couple of the last months. Just wonder if that is a waste of time.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone had success with Goodwill letters and Navient?

I agree! If I had a private loan and I need to choose between it and health, it's the essentials every time! Since it's not a federal student loan, I believe you don't have the same restrictions in GW letters. I don't know if people have any success with Navient, but personally I don't think it would be a waste of time because you have nothing to lose.
There is a thread called The Saturation Technique. It might give you some tips and help you decide whether it's worth the stamps or not to pursue this.
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-...
Message 2 of 3
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone had success with Goodwill letters and Navient?

+1 attempting Goodwills, particularly via the Saturation Technique Sabii linked to.  
I've had student loan goodwills (including a negative tradeline removed!), though not through Mohela or Navient, so I think it is possible. 

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.