cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone here done (completed) the Permanent and Total Disability Discharge Student Loan Process?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone here done (completed) the Permanent and Total Disability Discharge Student Loan Process?

I have just completed my 3 year conditional discharge release period for my student loans. I am now told by the people at the Disability Discharge Loan Center that my account has been submitted for final review. They say I've submitted everything they need and successfully completed the 3 year conditional period.

So, have any of you done this? How long of a wait do I have now before I get the final discharge done and completed?

Thanks 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone here done (completed) the Permanent and Total Disability Discharge Student Loan Proce

I wish I knew the answer to this... I just started my three year conditional period.  I was hoping to find out the answer to the same question!  So I thought I would respond to you and let you know that others are out there wondering the same question... Maybe you will be able to enlighten us?  If you have time I would love to know how it went for you!   I am wondering another interesting question...does unemployment count towards the annual earnings from employment that cannot exceed the poverty line for a family of two?  Or does disability income count toward that as well?  If you are not working earning the money it seems that it wouldn't count?  Any thoughts?
Message 2 of 6
rivernh
Contributor

Re: Has anyone here done (completed) the Permanent and Total Disability Discharge Student Loan Proce

My ex-husband died last year and it was left to me to go through all his paperwork as his only family was our minor son.

I can tell you he was definately disabled, and unable to work, and in fact died from his illnesses at the age of 50. 

Amongst the paperwork I found his attempts to get his student loan discharged based on permanent and total disablity.

They denied his requests, considering him Not totally disabled. (Even though social security considered him disabled). The latest letter was only a week before his death.

I saw the letters his MDs gave him to send them, and I'm not sure what they DO consider totally disabled.

Good luck. I don't know any more details then what I found in his personal papers.

Message 3 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

@rivernh wrote:

My ex-husband died last year and it was left to me to go through all his paperwork as his only family was our minor son.

I can tell you he was definately disabled, and unable to work, and in fact died from his illnesses at the age of 50. 

Amongst the paperwork I found his attempts to get his student loan discharged based on permanent and total disablity.

They denied his requests, considering him Not totally disabled. (Even though social security considered him disabled). The latest letter was only a week before his death.

I saw the letters his MDs gave him to send them, and I'm not sure what they DO consider totally disabled.

Good luck. I don't know any more details then what I found in his personal papers.

What a ghastly story.  Perhaps you might be able to get some local or national news media outfit interested in this story -- they love putting a personal face on larger stories -- and thereby gain political traction for some much-needed reforms.  Obviously those who CAN pay should pay, I long ago paid off my own grad school loans, but the Student Loan lobbyists got far too much out of Congress a few years ago.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 6
rivernh
Contributor

Actually Matt, this piece of my life I would like to stay buried.

And he did go to school on a special program for disabled people to retrain them.

He didn't finish because he got more ill...

maybe that was the basis for the denial of discharge.

As he is dead, its all a moot point now. it's effectively discharged now.  (He died deeply in debt without a penny) I had to borrow money to cremate him.

Message 5 of 6
n2win
Regular Contributor

It can take quite a few months.  There should be a phone number on your paperwork.  You could call them every month to get an update. 

It is a time consuming process, and may vary depending on who is in charge of your accounts.

Sometimes it may be neccessary to submit the same paperwork more than once.  I'm sure it goes without saying, but keep keep copies of your paperwork.

Goal: acquire and use Credit Cards, scores in the 700's in 2009
05/04/08 FICOS: EQ = 626; TU = 636: EX = 623
06/21/09 FICOS: EQ = 692; TU = 729; EX = 731 (CCT FAKO)
10/03/11 FICO EQ = 722 (CCT EQ = 749)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.