Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Us Fight Student Debt!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Us Fight Student Debt!

Hello,

Times are changing fast, especially for the college student. Current students have the highest student debt ever recorded, coming in over $1.3 trillion dollars. Unfortunately, the future isn’t looking any better.

That’s why we’ve contacted you. We’d like your support in stopping lawmakers from raiding the Federal Pell Grant Fund. This grant helps college students make their way through school without accumulating such massive debt, all while getting the treatment they deserve.

We hope you’ll join us by signing and sharing our petition.

Thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Help Us Fight Student Debt!

Nope, if you can't afford to pay off your loans that you voluntarily took, get a 2nd or 3rd job and cut your expenses. Absolutely zero sympathy.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 6
stellar
Established Contributor

Totally agree.  I came from an extremely poor family, had no real chance of going to college.  But worked my way through and still paying off my last bit of loans.  

I don't get why people whine about student loans they took on.   That's an adult decision to take on debt.  They have a choice of colleges in all different price ranges.  Even community colleges offer bachelors degrees.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So confused as to what you are asking here. I don't want Pell Grants cut, but I don't want them to be used to relieve debt that people willingly accumulated either.

Message 4 of 6
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So confused as to what you are asking here. I don't want Pell Grants cut, but I don't want them to be used to relieve debt that people willingly accumulated either.

Agreed.  I think there needs to be an overhaul of how student loans and pell grants can be accumulated and used.  Over payments should not be given out, they should be put toward future terms, even at colleges where the tuition amount is under the grant amount.

And then there should be similar things put into place for student loans.  I think banks are giving out student loans too freely under that title and the funds are going to non-educational related purposes which is what is causing the debt to explode b/c payments are being delivered to the student in a lump sum, and not going directly to the university.

I think the way to not have the funds cut is to actually determine how the funds can be dispersed more efficiently and utilized for said educational purposes only.  I say all this from experience as well.  I can remember BofA saying, oh you're a student, here's a $25k "student loan" check.  Go deposit it into your bank and do with it as you will.  Yes, it was that simple.  I'm 19 and now have $25k sitting in my bank account.  I wasn't responsible then.  Most of it went to school, but hey, I needed tires on my car, oh, and that new video game that just came out, etc, etc, etc until the money was gone.

And I know hind-sight is 20/20, but I think if we recognize a problem, then the leaders of this country should fix it and not allow banks to take advantage of those less financially educated while not having to be concerned about default because the loan is backed by the government.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 6
Tazman81
Established Contributor

cwes,

Do you have any other details on the above.  I couldn't find much that talked about this.  Are they taking away funds because they are building in efficiences, or are they funds coming directly out of student's education pockets?  When I clicked on the link to review the "letter", it was one sentence.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.