cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to approach paying off student loan?

tag
kkakn

How to approach paying off student loan?

I was attending a university but stopped due to having to take care of my disabled daughter. The school notified me of the debt but said they only had one payment plan: I could pay over $400/month by automatic withdrawal. Well, with no job this was (and still is) impossible. They told me that it would be transfered to a collection agency. Now, I have (after a year) received notification from William and Fudge about the debt. It is roughly $2400 owed. I simply can't make any large payments per month. What is the best way to do this? William and Fudge have been calling my house but leave no messages. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd like to take care of this debt but I certainly don't want to be harassed about it either (which won't allow me to magically pull money out of anywhere, anyways). Thanks for your advice/suggestions.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
mariella
New Visitor

Re: How to approach paying off student loan?

I know that creditors trying to collect a debt are not allowed to harass you about the debt. If you do answer the next time they call and you tell them you longer want to be contacted by phone they cannot call you anymore. The  Fair Credit Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C.S. Section 1692 protects your rights from bill collectors! Also usually talking to the creditor attempting to collect the debt may help. They may be able to help you set up a payment schedule that is more realistic for your financial situation. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.