cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a student loan judgement about 7 years ago and it never shows on credit reports, mortgage?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Established Member

I had a student loan judgement about 7 years ago and it never shows on credit reports, mortgage?

I defaulted on a student loan about 7 years ago and they got a judgment against me for 4k.  This is a NJ higher educational loan for 4k.  Despite this judgement, and having my state tax returns garnished, I never had it appear as public record on any of my credit reports from all 3 credit agencies.  The actual debt itself, will fall off my reports in the next few months.  Will this affect my ability to get a mortgage given it will have fallen off my credit reports and does not show as a public record?

I know the judgment can be renewed and the statute of limitations in NJ is 10 years for this specific debt but they already got a judgment 6 years ago and their means of collecting is via state tax garnishment.  I don't live in NJ anymore, thus no more state tax garnishment and the debt will fall off all 3 reports in a few months.  I just want to know if banks when applying for mortgage applications will have a way to see this if it no longer exists on credit reports and doesn't appear as a public collection.  If it matters, NJ higher education loans are not federal loans.  

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: I had a student loan judgement about 7 years ago and it never shows on credit reports, mortgage?

I'm sorry, I don't know much about these types of loans at all.
Personally I would be concerned. If they got a judgement against you, through a court, there has to be a public record of this some place. And although you don't know where it is, that it could surface when you get the mortgage. Also I would worry that even though it's not on your credit report, I would worry that another collection agency might add it back and/ or the mortgage ppl might use a report that goes further back.

But again, I don't know. It might be fine. Hopefully you can connect here or in the mortgage thread with someone who can give you an answer.
Good luck.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: I had a student loan judgement about 7 years ago and it never shows on credit reports, mortgage?

I'm sorry that I can't help either.    I do know that if you are borrowing a significant amount of money (I think it's 150k+), lenders can request a complete credit history (which means your whole history, not just the past 7 years), but I don't know if that will entail additional sources that will show your judgement or not.

EQ: 792 | EX: 785 | TU: 781 | Accounts: 2/6 5/12 10/24
Happy practitioner of AZE6or7or8
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.