Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If consolidated loan is paid off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If consolidated loan is paid off

I have a question. I defaulted on my federal student loans in 2015 and since then consolidated them. They are in good standing however defaults hurt my scores and overall credit profile. Now if I pay them off will defaults be gone?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: If consolidated loan is paid off

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a question. I defaulted on my federal student loans in 2015 and since then consolidated them. They are in good standing however defaults hurt my scores and overall credit profile. Now if I pay them off will defaults be gone?

No, the negative information will not be automatically deleted;  they will still need to wait out the 7 year reporting time frame.
You could try to have them deleted with goodwill letters to the servicer.  Most servicers won't entertain them, but some will.
I brought my defaulted loans current with a consolidation and my servicer did delete them, so it is possible (I haven't paid mine off, though I have paid them significantly).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If consolidated loan is paid off

You could possibly luck out if the company you defaulted with is out of business. There's nobody to respond to a dispute.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.