Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your servicer is Nelnet or Great Lakes.... New servicers as contracts end

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your servicer is Nelnet or Great Lakes.... New servicers as contracts end

This is an article that explains that with the gov cancelling those contacts, all accounts will be transferred. 

What does that mean for you? 

First and foremost, you must get all of your records! My servicers personally changed as a result of the first kidding the gov contract and they basically lost everything, including the Master Promissory Note. I also believe the lost record of any payments I made. I still owe everything because... Federal student loans. 

Hopefully if everything is digital the transaction will be smooth for you. If you have pre-digital age records, especially try to get copies of your records. Save correspondence, bills, etc. 

Wish you the best of luck in the transition. 

https://www.winknews.com/2020/07/14/changes-coming-to-how-the-government-manages-your-student-loans/...

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If your servicer is Nelnet or Great Lakes.... New servicers as contracts end

Thanks @Anonymous. I'm certainly hoping my 2014 90 day late from a now closed account will fall off ...but I also hope they'll keep reporting the rest of the good payments. 

Message 2 of 11
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: If your servicer is Nelnet or Great Lakes.... New servicers as contracts end

Trellis (formerly TG/Texas Guaranteed) held my FFELs, and not to lay a curse, but I always had very positive interactions with their CSRs and I had TONS of communication from them (I have a huge file still).  I hope those of you who have transferred loans get them - They're one of the new servicers.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 11
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

This kinda sucks. I actually kinda liked Great Lakes.

On the other hand, the addition of the accounts under the new servicer will thicken up my profile even more which will be nice. (I have 26 federal student loans listed on my report from them being transferred from one servicer to another.)

Edit: thanks for the heads up, BTW!

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 4 of 11
wantitgone
Contributor

well, that's annoying... I consolidated my federal student loans late last year. Does this mean they'll open new accounts on my CR and make them look new again? I like Nelnet, have had them forever!

FICO 8 on 5/31/19 ~~ EQ: 608, TU: 545, EX: 585
BK 7 DC 7/9/19
FICO 8 on 01/31/2023 ~~ EQ: 693, TU: 677, EX: 678

NFCU CLOC $1,000

Apple Card 4,500
Williams Sonoma $1,250
NFCU CashRewards $2,500
NFCU Flagship $12,100
Navy Federal Platinum $25,000
PenFed Pathfinder $12,500
Kemba CU Platinum $3,500
Amazon Store Card (Synchrony) $1500
Paypal Credit $850
Capital One QS $2,000
Capital One Spark $2,000
Overstock Store Card $2,150

AAoA: EQ - 7y9mo, TU - 7y8mo, EX - 5yr7mo (as of 01/31/2023); INQ are 2 EQ, 6 TU, and 5 EX.

New Auto Loan with NFCU (May 2022): 32k for 3.49%/60 months

My DPs: as of January 2023, I am full-time employed, 55k/year, 2 federal consolidated loans plus 3 new student loans, had perfect payment history with 0 derogs until 90 day lates prior to filing BK in March 2019.
Message 5 of 11
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@wantitgone wrote:

well, that's annoying... I consolidated my federal student loans late last year. Does this mean they'll open new accounts on my CR and make them look new again? I like Nelnet, have had them forever!

A new account should appear on your report but it will be backdated to when the account was opened. e.g. I consolidated my student loans Dec 2015 with Great Lakes so that should be the opening date on the account with the new servicer.

This can be a good thing if the account is even a little aged, and even more so for people who haven't consolidated, cuz they'll get a bunch of new, backdated loans on their report -- it will thicken up their report and make the AAoA number more resilient to the effects of new accounts. (This is how I have 26 student loans on my report.)

Message 6 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

Well that's a silver lining if I've ever seen one. My loans serviced by Greatlakes all show up together on my reports event though it's a bunch of separate smaller loans when I check with them directly.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 7 of 11
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
Well that's a silver lining if I've ever seen one. My loans serviced by Greatlakes all show up together on my reports event though it's a bunch of separate smaller loans when I check with them directly.

Just to clarify -- your loans show up as one big loan on your credit report even though they are separate smaller loans? Have you ever consolidated?

I'm asking because each of my loans prior to consolidation showed up separately on my credit report (i.e. I had one loan for each semester) so each time they switched servicers I got a new set of seven loans on my credit report. I'm wondering if this is not the current practice. (For context, my experience of them switching loan servicers prior to consolidation is 2007-2014.)

Message 8 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@ccquest wrote:

Just to clarify -- your loans show up as one big loan on your credit report even though they are separate smaller loans? Have you ever consolidated?

Correct. For example, my Transunion shows it under "US Dept of Education / GL #ACCOUNTXXX" as an Installment Account with Loan Type of Student Loan. If I go to the Great lakes website, they are all listed under Stafford Loans (maybe this is why we differ?) and if I go to account details, 14 separate loans with different (well, would be different if not at 0% right now) interest rates, "tokens", and loan dates (to correspond with the school year, not semester but I have sub and unsub each year).

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 11
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@ccquest wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@ccquest wrote:

Correct. For example, my Transunion shows it under "US Dept of Education / GL #ACCOUNTXXX" as an Installment Account with Loan Type of Student Loan. If I go to the Great lakes website, they are all listed under Stafford Loans (maybe this is why we differ?) and if I go to account details, 14 separate loans with different (well, would be different if not at 0% right now) interest rates, "tokens", and loan dates (to correspond with the school year, not semester but I have sub and unsub each year).

Interesting. My loans were Stafford loans, too. They must have changed how they report unconsolidated loans. This is good to know so I don't give out out-of-date information or confuse people.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.