Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income Based Repayment; recently married

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Income Based Repayment; recently married

Hey, I know nothing about student loans to be upfront.  My spouse is on an income based repayment for her loans.  She is having to reapply (she told me yearly) for her income based payment and since we got married last year and file together, it wants me to create a student loan id and sign the documents with her (she said because I have to grant access to my SSN on the taxes for them to base the repayment).  

My only question is, does this mean her student loans will now show up on my credit report?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Income Based Repayment; recently married

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, I know nothing about student loans to be upfront.  My spouse is on an income based repayment for her loans.  She is having to reapply (she told me yearly) for her income based payment and since we got married last year and file together, it wants me to create a student loan id and sign the documents with her (she said because I have to grant access to my SSN on the taxes for them to base the repayment).  

My only question is, does this mean her student loans will now show up on my credit report?

They will not.   They are still 100% her responsibility, but the payment plan she's on takes household income into effect on how much she can pay (since you filed together).    One of the pitfalls of people who are married with student loans (weighing filing together vs separate vs student loan payments), but it should not be on your report.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.