Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inheritance and financing medical school

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inheritance and financing medical school

For a little background, I am single, 24 going on 25 in a few weeks, and will be starting medical school this coming Fall at an in state public medical school. I have no idea what I’ll be taking out in loans yet, but I know my cost of living will be covered by family. I will ONLY be taking loans only for school costs. I currently do not have any debt whatsoever. I will only be taking loans for tuition which will be about 41-42k

I recently inherited a ~74k portfolio (a brokerage account) of 13 investments (30k in stocks, 2k in ETFs, 27k in mutual funds) and some of it in cash (about 15k). I could use some guidance on what to do here in order to wipe out as much debt as possible in the end.

I’ve asked advice form a couple of CPA’s and attorneys who do estate planning. The two options ive received are either cash it all out and throw it all at tuition. Or I’ve also been told to hold on to it and see if it can grow into something that will wipe out a more significant portion of the debt later. I want to do as much research as I can and ask for advice from as many people as possible before I make a decision. So any advice is appreciated.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inheritance and financing medical school

This might do better in the personal finance section.
Good luck and congrats on medical school.
Message 2 of 3
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Inheritance and financing medical school

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.