Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KeyBank Private Education Loan Charge-Offs

tag
Cowboyjuggernaut
New Visitor

Re: KeyBank Private Education Loan Charge-Offs

I have the same story as everyone else. Have 5 loans with them totaling around $58K. I was making a $300 a month payment to them because that what they said they was good and it was the most I could afford. I was paying on them for over 2 years and knocked my total down to 52K. Did you catch that. The math doesnt quite work. After 2 years and no payment book, statements, notices, receits, e-mail, phone call nothing. My mom wants to buy a new car who helped me co-sign my loans. Sure enough, come to find out they're all in charge off and had been for over a year. We promptly called and asked them why. Well, my payments weren't enough for them and they charged-off all my accounts. I asked for them to send me the statements, this way we can get the numbers right. A few days later, a nice lady from AIC calls and tells us they can settle everything for a payment of 53% of the total. Its a great deal and both my parents are willing to help, but it would mean my dad getting a lean on his Classic muscle car to foot the note. However, after reviewing the paperwork Keybank sent us, the payments are all screwed up. Some months went by with no payment and others with me only paying 257 out of the 300. This is flat-out stealing because they cashed every $300 check I sent them and it is no where listed. Currently, we are doing the deal with AIC, but a friend of mine is an attorney and has agreed to help me go over all this. I'll keep everyone updated, but as it looks, they have stolen my money and wrongfully taken my mom and me to collections over this. I know Key bank has stated many times they want out of the Student loan program, but wrongfully charging-off current accounts is not the answer.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

As I was reading the discussion, I'm in the same situation as all of you.  I have like 9 account with KeyBank and they have all been "charged off", I have also filed bankruptcy a while back and it has been discharged, of course the student loans didn't go anywhere.  They are still "charged off".  My question, do they "fall off" your credit report after 7 years from the of being "charged off"? or that 7 year rule does not apply to "charged off" student loans?

I'm actually talking to my attorney this coming Monday, I'll update you guys with anything that could be relevant to the discussion.

Thanks,

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you made a settlement with them, its always best to get a follow up in writing.  You can dispute this thru an attorney.  Find a local attorney that specializes in debt harasment, etc.

If Key Bank is in violation of the fair credit act, they can be sued for a minimum of 1k. Some attorneys will take those cases for free ( they sue the violater for legal fees).  If the dispute has caused you damage, like you were unable to purchase a home, stress, etc.  They will try to get you more.  Wore case is... you get 1k and the entry is removed from your credit report.  You  have to prove your case in the way of payments, phone calls, etc

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, post is quite old however, Im having the same issue.

Is it allowed for these people to charge you off even though your making payments.  Why is it that you should be thought of as a deliquent even though you are making payments for years.  It just seems so odd to me that these people expect to get their money in full like this.  I owe 16k about, and it seems peposterous that they would even do this.  All other banks have rehabilitation, how do they expect people to just pay off the loan like that.  Has anyone gotten any info as far as what can be done legally against these people?

-Dom

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.