cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Navient Payments - Deletion Stategy Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late Navient Payments - Deletion Stategy Help!

Thank you for all of your help while I've been trying sort this out! I don't have access to any of my account information since the loan has been closed due to consolidation. I've been trying to make sense of these late payments since I do know I was for sure paying at the time of the reported delinquencies. I think what may have happened is that i was paying twice a month (the monthly bill cut in half) and somewhere along the line I mistakenly made a partial payment and going forward, the remainder created delinquencies from January-May 2015. I was able to have Navient send me a letter regarding the forbearance that I filed and this is what they sent:

"In June 3, 2015, your account was placed on forbearance for November 9, 2014 - June 8, 2015. Please note, this cleared your 176 day delinquency. "

Is there any way to use this letter to dispute with Navient or the credit bureaus that since the account was cleared of the delinquencies, Navient is required to UPDATE their reporting to be bureaus under FCRS 623(a)? Or, is there anything else I can do?! I'm grasping at straws and since I don't have access to the account info, it's been a little tough! Also, it says this is a private or FFELP loan serviced by Navient if that makes a difference! THANK YOU!
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You were given a retroactive forbearance covering the periods that you were late. That's great! The thing is, yes they are required to report it accurately. Despite the forbearance, you were actually late. By law they can't report otherwise. It's no big deal though. Navient can't change it but each CB can. Submit a dispute and include the letter about your forbearance. Then it should be removed. There are quite a few people who have done posts in retroactive forbearances and that's how it worked. Imo, don't talk about how you got the lates, just that you got a forbearance bringing the account current for those periods.
I think it will be interesting to see your score change once these lates are gone.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for all of your help and feedback! I will give it a try with the CBs and see how it goes. I will make sure to update once I hear back. Again, thank you so much!
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more quick question - do you think I should cite the FCRA 623(a) argument in my credit bureau dispute letter (the argument that the furnisher (Navient) is required to update any information regardless if it was accurate at one point)? Or should I leave that out for now and wait to see the outcome of the retroactive forbearance letter? Thanks again?
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome.

No. There is nothing to update; you were late (not judging, btw. I've been late too). Navient is reporting it accurately. But the credit bureaus will, from everything I've read here, remove it if you show the forbearance letter to them.
I know, I know. It's pretty much the same, really, right? Lol! So bureaucratic!
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes perfect sense! You are such a wealth of information! Thanks so much!
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just sent off the disputes to all three credit bureaus yesterday. They're scheduled to arrive on Friday. Fingers crossed!
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome.
Good luck!
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this work if the forebearance letter states:

"We cannot remove the deliquency reported to the consumer reporting agencies..... Although a deferment or forbearance applied to your account resolved your past due status, the delinquency reporting you want removed occurred prior to the deferment or forbearance request date..."

This won't work will it?

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never does it, but I would suspect that all the letters contain the same wording. All that seems to mean is that you wouldn't have success asking the servicer to stop reporting the lates, but people have been able to dispute the lates through the CRA instead, with the letter, and they have been removed. YMMV.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.