cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Navient Payments Impacting Scores - Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late Navient Payments Impacting Scores - Help!

Hello!

I've received delinquent account marks on my report as of Sep '19 from Navient.

I need help because I have worked really hard to get my score to 700 and then this incidence dropped my score to sub 500!

As far as I know, I have not had any agreement with them as far as payments, and I am pretty sure I defaulted on my student loans years ago, hence the low score and slow climb to 700. But, now I'm back where I started.

What do I need to do to get my score back up! This is the only thing holding me back, I've been using my credit responsably and it really sucks that all that work went to nothing because of this. Ive already disputed some marks off my report but they are still reporting every month and my on time payments percentage is tanking! I was at %100!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late Navient Payments Impacting Scores - Help!

Hello,
It's my understanding that you previously defaulted and your account is still in that status. Then unfortunately, any damage to your report and score can last up to 7 years, and the financial consequences longer due to the ability of the federal government to take funds to enforce these student funds. And the collection agency can continue to report you.

Default is very common. Student loans are a huge burden that many people, including myself, were not ready for.
The good news is that you can probably rehab. It will erase the default when it's done, maybe the lates, and give your score a fresh chance to bounce back up.
Would you like information on rehabbing or consolidation to get out of default?
Message 2 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

I have split your post into its own separate thread to provide better exposure to your individual situation with Navient.

@Anonymous and the rest of our community members should be able to provide a bit more guidance on this.
Message 3 of 14
Mookey67
Contributor

Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You were in default and but no longer because loans are now at Navient and you weren't aware so you received a negative remark on credit report? 

Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 4 of 14
calyx
Super Contributor

+1 to everything above.

The status of your student loan(s) is pretty important before we can help you.
Whether or not they're (still) in default is a key piece of info that we need to be sure about.

Also, where are you getting your score from? 

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I defaulted. And I went back to school in '19. I was considering using FAFSA, but paid out of pocket. I ended up rehabbing my loan in case I wanted to use the aid I was eligible for. My guess is this is why Navient is hitting me hard with delinquent payment marks on my report. If you like at the calendar view, they just start out of no where in oct '19.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score is coming from credit karma. I rehab my loan so I could receive financial aid last year for school. I didn't end up using it and pay out of pocket. At this point my score is on its way to 700 and I was using my credit responsibly and then out of nowhere navient showed up on my credit report with delinquent marks.
Message 7 of 14
Mookey67
Contributor

Those are vantage scores. What you may want to find out are your Fico scores. That’s what most lenders use. From what I believe you are saying is that your loans are no longer in default because you have rehabbed them. They are now at Navient and they reported you negatively. If they did, they would not have reported you until you went 90 days past due if federal loans. When you said you don’t have a payment agreement with them, you didn’t receive any correspondence or phone calls from them? You also said it was reported negatively Sept 2019. When did you last attend school and what was your enrollment status? I’m sorry for asking all these questions but trying to squeeze them all in without all the back and forth. LOL. Also just trying to fully understand your issues so they we may better able to assist you if we can
Message 8 of 14
Mookey67
Contributor

Message 9 of 14
calyx
Super Contributor

+1 What Mookey says - unfortunately, student loans can be finicky and we are just trying to get all of the information we need to help you the best we can.  

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.