cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Navient Payments Impacting Scores - Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late Navient Payments Impacting Scores - Help!

I never received any correspondence from navient and then out of nowhere I started getting letters about my balance and I noticed my credit was affected. I was attending school part-time in 2018 for fall term. I didn't use any financial aid because I was rehabbing my loan at the time of enrollment and was not eligible to receive it. After the fall term I did not go back to school as I needed to sort out my finances. CORRECTION: the initial "derogatory" reporting started OCT' 2019. Thank you for all your help I really need it to navigate the situation. Last month I was able to remove about 9 negative marks from navient on my report after calling TransUnion. but what's killing me is my on-time payment ratio consistently going down every month as the reporting is continuing.
Message 11 of 14
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I never received any correspondence from navient and then out of nowhere I started getting letters about my balance and I noticed my credit was affected. I was attending school part-time in 2018 for fall term. I didn't use any financial aid because I was rehabbing my loan at the time of enrollment and was not eligible to receive it. After the fall term I did not go back to school as I needed to sort out my finances. CORRECTION: the initial "derogatory" reporting started OCT' 2019. Thank you for all your help I really need it to navigate the situation. Last month I was able to remove about 9 negative marks from navient on my report after calling TransUnion. but what's killing me is my on-time payment ratio consistently going down every month as the reporting is continuing.

It's the current reporting that's killing you - current reporting is not letting the derogatory "age"

Payment ratio has absolutely no bearing on your credit score - that's just misleading "fluff" from CreditKarma.

I'm sorry to hear about the lack of communication from the servicer - it's the #1 reason that people redefault from rehabbed loans (same thing happened to me, only I didn't get the warning before the default was complete).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 12 of 14
Mookey67
Contributor

I hope I am getting this correct as far as trying to understand. If the first derogatory was reported in October then it looks like you had a payment due around July and that would have been about the time you completed rehabilitation according to your timeline. You said you did received letters but said after credit affected. They start sending letters prior to reporting the derogatory information and try to call you. I’m not trying to be harsh and please don’t take it that way. Im just trying to fill in the gaps because it seems some information is missing and is the reason for my questions and confusion or it may be the way you are wording it and I keep reiterating what I think you are saying. As a former employee at a student loan servicer, I’m just trying to figure out if there is a legitimate way we can help you and not just tell you something you want to hear. Those letters are an indication that something is wrong. May I ask what is the date of the letter that you said you received. If that derogatory information is still reporting then I would suggest if you don’t have the money to bring current then to contact Navient about a forbearance right away so it will stop updating negatively because if 90 days delinquent in October then you are close to defaulting again. If it is no longer delinquent then your score will recover over time
Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 13 of 14
Mookey67
Contributor

You previously said you went back to school in 2019. Then you said you didn’t go back after fall of 2018 due to finances. May I ask which one was it? If you went back to school in 2019 what was your enrollment status? There may be a way to get the derogatory info removed but it depends on your response
Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.