cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payments from 2014, have general forebearance from 12-13 to 12-14 - removal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late payments from 2014, have general forebearance from 12-13 to 12-14 - removal?

Hey all, was looking into my student loans, specifically one I had back in 2014 that I forgot to defer and missed payments on as a result. I reecntly contacted FedLoan and they said would be e-mailing me the general forebearance letter that was approved for it from 12-31-13 to 12-31-14. Would I have any chance of giving Experian, et al, that letter once it's sent to me to dispute the lates to get them removed, or would I need to pester FedLoan about it?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late payments from 2014, have general forebearance from 12-13 to 12-14 - removal?

FedLoan Servicing will likely tell you that they cannot remove them, siting the Higher Education Act. Most people who have success go through the CRA. You dispute it and upload the letter as a supporting document.
Good luck. 🙂
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late payments from 2014, have general forebearance from 12-13 to 12-14 - removal?

Bumping this since it's still relevant.

I've uploaded the documents to Experian and received my results today, accounts say updated yet no change was made to the late payments. I don't even know what they updated. I submitted them to Equifax and TransUnion last week since I forgot about those. I'm pretty peeved with Experian since that score is nearly 100 points lower than the other two for some reasonm, yet everything is the same between all three.

Is it worth just mailing them the copies of the FedLoan letters, along with a short statement of what I'm actually wanting done since it seems like their online dispute system is nearly worthless considering they don't leave a small paragraph of explaining their reasoning?

Message 3 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

I would - it might be a shot in the dark, but you don't have anything to lose.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do, you might want to include something extra. It doesn't have to be proof, just relevant imo. If you include the same information, I think you're not at risk for them to refuse to investigate due to it being the same issue with the same information and they are under no obligation to investigate again. It will probably get flagged as potentially frivolous because it's a complaint about the same thing. I just tend to give a little more info and it makes the cut.
Another thing is when they just forward it to the servicer you can sometimes get a different answer than when they figure out out in-house. My early Exclusions for lates went through when the credit bureaus looked at it, but others stayed when they just sent it to the creditor, who verified the lates.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small update. Equifax and Transunion appear to have removed the lates with the same info I provided to Experian. Experian still won't budge, so I opened a CFPB complaint around October 14th. Recently received a message from Experian's website saying they finished my dispute yet there's been no change. No reply to my CFPB complaint so far. Starting to get real frustrated with them.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great start! Hopefully Experian can get on board soon.
What kind of point gain did you get for each CB?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

TransUnion is still showing on my report, but there's a 40 point difference between them and Equifax, who did remove it. Interestingly enough, my dispute on TU still shows "Manual" so I don't know what's going on with that actually. There's a 80 point difference between Equifax and Experian.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! That's such a big difference!
Good luck on getting the other one off so it can reflect all your hard work that you've done on your credit report since. 🙂
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

along with the forbearance letter did you upload anything else to support? thnx

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.