Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan Forgiveness non-VA rating

tag
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

Loan Forgiveness non-VA rating

I read here about loan forgiveness for non-VA rating but can't find it. My husband was injured on the job (traumatic brain and electrical injury} in 2017.  In 2019 his worker's compensation physician completed the documents for loan forgiveness.  Today, we received a letter from Nelnet informing us that his loans were forgiven and he will be on a three year monitoring period and he has to complete a form every year about his employment and pay.  The best news was that his loans will show as paid and zeroed out on the CRAs.   

Business Cards
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Loan Forgiveness non-VA rating

Thats amazing, congratulations on that!

Message 2 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

Great - happy that worked out for you. Hope Hubby is doing well and has a full recovery!
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting the approval. I also believe the forgiven amount is no longer taxable.
Your story will give others in a similar situation hope. Thank you both for sharing.
Message 4 of 7
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

I called the TPD office and was told it would take 4-6 months before it shows on the credit reports that they were paid.   Is there a chance that the IRS will consider the forgiveness taxable?

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats on getting the approval. I also believe the forgiven amount is no longer taxable.
Your story will give others in a similar situation hope. Thank you both for sharing.

Business Cards
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, new legislation was passed in 2018. It's no longer taxable.
"If you received a TPD discharge of a loan during the period from Jan. 1, 2018 to Dec. 31, 2025, the discharged loan amount won’t be considered income for federal tax purposes."
https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/disability-discharge#is-discharged-amou...

If you don't mind, how long did it take, from application to forgiveness?
Message 6 of 7
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No, new legislation was passed in 2018. It's no longer taxable.
"If you received a TPD discharge of a loan during the period from Jan. 1, 2018 to Dec. 31, 2025, the discharged loan amount won’t be considered income for federal tax purposes."
https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/disability-discharge#is-discharged-amount-taxable

If you don't mind, how long did it take, from application to forgiveness?

Submitted paperwork in late November.  Received a response and approval January 7th.  

Business Cards
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.