cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan defaulted after rehab, assigned to gov't, showing G for each payment on credit report

tag
MoreCowbell
Established Member

Loan defaulted after rehab, assigned to gov't, showing G for each payment on credit report

After filing BK7 in 2012 for medical bills, I rehabilitated a consolidated student loan in 2013 but then defaulted again in 2014 when the guy who owned the company I worked for changed our payment structure and I was making barely minimum wage for 6 months. At the end of 2014 I got a job with a real company that doesn't do that, and I picked up sending my $500 monthly payments to AES/PHEAA. 

In the last 30 months I've paid $15k, with 28 $500 payments and one payment, 20 months ago, of $1000 for missing the previous month. On the credit report I recently got, the loan is listed as assigned to the government and all of the payment boxes just have a G in them. 

I know I can't rehabilitate again, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the government to reflect actual payments. I'll call them on Monday, but I'm just wondering if I'm asking for something they can't legally do. Or do the "G" boxes not matter? For some reason, the credit report shows that the government information is from 5/2017 and it has the most recent payment as April 2017. So someone who looked past the Gs could see that at least a payment was made in April 2017.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to just keep paying until I can afford to borrow the money to pay it off in full and then pay *that* loan. But since the money I borrowed decades ago was $32k and, even after years of mostly paying, the loan is at $35k right now, I don't know when I'll ever be able to borrow enough to pay it off. 

Thanks for any input! 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.