Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan rehabilitation question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loan rehabilitation question.

Hello everyone, I usually interact on the Rebuilding Credit threads, and I am new to the Student Loan threads. I'm hoping someone here can help me make sense of Student Loan Rehabilitation. 

Let me start by saying I started the rehabilitation process back on February 10, 2020, and I have made two payments thus far. I have 7 student loans, all of them originally with Nelnet. 

I checked my Experian report this morning, and the original 7 Nelnet loans are there, all of them marked as "current" with a $0 balance due and the corresponding lates that led to default. This makes sense to me; they were charged off and placed in collection. 

But, 7 new accounts appear, all of them from "US DOE GSL/ATL," each with their own outstanding balance marked with the full amount being past due. There is no indication of the payment arrangement I made with the DOE for my 9 rehabilitation payments, each loan simply says "$x,xxx past due," and what's more is that it's marking late payments for March and April on each of the 7 new TL's, even though I've made my payments in full and on time as per my rehabilation agreement. 

Is this standard when rehabilitating loans? When I read that "the default notation will be removed from credit reports once rehabilitation is complete," does that mean these 7 NEW trade lines will be deleted, along with their late payments, or do I have to eat 63 fresh late payments over the next 9 months and have 63 extra late payments for another 7 years? Please help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Loan rehabilitation question.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, I usually interact on the Rebuilding Credit threads, and I am new to the Student Loan threads. I'm hoping someone here can help me make sense of Student Loan Rehabilitation. 

Let me start by saying I started the rehabilitation process back on February 10, 2020, and I have made two payments thus far. I have 7 student loans, all of them originally with Nelnet. 

I checked my Experian report this morning, and the original 7 Nelnet loans are there, all of them marked as "current" with a $0 balance due and the corresponding lates that led to default. This makes sense to me; they were charged off and placed in collection. 

But, 7 new accounts appear, all of them from "US DOE GSL/ATL," each with their own outstanding balance marked with the full amount being past due. There is no indication of the payment arrangement I made with the DOE for my 9 rehabilitation payments, each loan simply says "$x,xxx past due," and what's more is that it's marking late payments for March and April on each of the 7 new TL's, even though I've made my payments in full and on time as per my rehabilation agreement. 

Is this standard when rehabilitating loans? When I read that "the default notation will be removed from credit reports once rehabilitation is complete," does that mean these 7 NEW trade lines will be deleted, along with their late payments, or do I have to eat 63 fresh late payments over the next 9 months and have 63 extra late payments for another 7 years? Please help!

Rehab payments don't show up on your CRs, I sure wish they did! If these new TLs are held by the CA or servicer you are paying, then, yes, they will be removed from your CRs once the rehab is complete plus time for them to actually be removed (another 30-90 days, I'd say since it depends on how long it take for a new servicer to puck up your loans).

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.