cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOHELA transfer timeline (from Great Lakes)

tag
ccquest
Established Contributor

MOHELA transfer timeline (from Great Lakes)

Just wanted to share this for anyone else that may be wondering about how long it could take.

I submitted my ECF via fax again on September 14th, every other time Fedloan did not receive/process but Mohela did this time - woohoo!

Checked pretty regularly for progress via the Form Status section of this page. I think it was around November that it showed up as received and mentioned 90 business days to process.

January 4th I received an email notice from Great Lakes that my account was being transferred to Mohela "on or about 1/20/2023".

Late last month I was finally able to login on Mohela. I already have them servicing my SoFi loans and the same account works for both which is a little weird to me. Prior to the magic day, trying to login or register would just redirect me to the SoFi page. Some people have reported using successful registration as an indicator of a successful transfer. When I logged in, no information really showed and I had the smiley saying good standing. Over the next week or so, more information populated.

Yesterday (February 8th), I got the welcome email from Mohela and my PSLF counts and full loan details were in there.

Today, I did my daily check of Experian and Great Lakes are officially off with no replacement yet. Jumped up 14 points there on my FICO 8 but I'm sure that'll fall right back once the new ones report.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: MOHELA transfer timeline (from Great Lakes)

It might take some weeks.  If you applied by 10/31, the eligibility criteria was quite vast.  In essence, you only had to make 120 payments from most nonprivate student loans to be eligible.  Even late payments count.

It took me a couple of months from when MOHELA started servicing my loans--but I just got my loans forgiven a couple of weeks ago under PSLF.

I hope you get yours forgiven, too.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

Oh that'll be MANY MANY weeks, however many it takes to get to about June 2027 for my 120th payment. It really should be January, but I noticed over the years that there's a month or two gap in there while they do the recertification process that no payment is required/gets processed.

Then the "processing time" after that.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 3 of 11
donkort
Valued Contributor

You should apply, and renew the application each year.  Keep it open.

Message 4 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

Now on March 17th I have EQ and TU showing 14 new lines for MOHELA/DOFED. Each of them is dated between August 2011 and 2016 which corresponds to when they were disbursed - I think I prefer the Great Lakes way of one big loan fully backdated to the first disbursement date. Just makes it all look cleaner and (AFAIK) age for these installment loans doesn't matter like revolvers.

Somehow (could be other metrics like aging, not studying too closely), my EQ FICO 8 is 7 points higher now and TU is 6 points lower.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

And a couple weeks later now on April 5th, they've shown up on Experian as well and brought me down to 800 there.

The Great Lakes way is definitely cleaner looking than all these separate tradelines -.-
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 6 of 11
donkort
Valued Contributor

My FICOs went up during the transfer from Navient to MOHELA.

Went back down to exactly previous level when MOHELA reported my balance.

Probably will go up slightly once MOHELA stops reporting a balance (I have no balance now).  But not as much than if I kept a small balance.

Message 7 of 11
cr101
Established Contributor

@ccquest What were your scores before and after? I am so hurt by the news that I just got about my loan being xferred. I'm so concerned about my score. Do any of your credit monitoring services show this as a new loan? That's my main thing, that it will scare some of my creditors.

Message 8 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@ccquest What were your scores before and after? I am so hurt by the news that I just got about my loan before xferred. I'm so concerned about my score. Do any of your credit monitoring services show this as a new loan? That's my main thing, that it will scare some of my creditors.

796 before to 810 after they dropped to 812 with aging to 800 once they popped back up to 805 now with more aging I guess. Some of the aging could be balance type things with revolvers though.

Different services shouldn't show anything different either btw, the servicer reports factual data to all of them and they just make it available. I did pull up Credit Karma just to doublecheck for you and those are each backdated as well.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 11
cr101
Established Contributor

@ccquest wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@ccquest What were your scores before and after? I am so hurt by the news that I just got about my loan before xferred. I'm so concerned about my score. Do any of your credit monitoring services show this as a new loan? That's my main thing, that it will scare some of my creditors.

796 before to 810 after they dropped to 812 with aging to 800 once they popped back up to 805 now with more aging I guess. Some of the aging could be balance type things with revolvers though.

Different services shouldn't show anything different either btw, the servicer reports factual data to all of them and they just make it available. I did pull up Credit Karma just to doublecheck for you and those are each backdated as well.

Am I reading that right? Your score was 796 w Great Lakes, but when their loan was removed and MOHELA's was added, it went to 800? Did you notice anything else that would have accounted for that increase?

And, I just noticed that you mentioned that they were 1 tradeline w GL and multiple w MOHELA. GL is who I'm xferring from, too. But, I think that mine were consolidated, so I (hopefully) shouldn't see multi tradelines.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.