cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make sure all current student loans show as OPEN!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure all current student loans show as OPEN!

I've had a student loan account that has been open since 2004.  I could not, for the life of me, figure out why Experian has been lower than the others for over a year.  Figured it out:  This loan that I have almost FIFTEEN YEARS worth of on-time payments on?   Yeah, Experian showed it as closed, with a small balance, and "Paid" as the status.  Good grief.  After doing a bit more research and comparing some old reports, I found out they had done that with several student loan accounts.  Score increase:  12 points.  :-D

Apparently, this is a common situation with student loan accounts with funky terms (Perkins!) for people who qualify for annual amortization and $0 repayment.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Make sure all current student loans show as OPEN!

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a student loan account that has been open since 2004.  I could not, for the life of me, figure out why Experian has been lower than the others for over a year.  Figured it out:  This loan that I have almost FIFTEEN YEARS worth of on-time payments on?   Yeah, Experian showed it as closed, with a small balance, and "Paid" as the status.  Good grief.  After doing a bit more research and comparing some old reports, I found out they had done that with several student loan accounts.  Score increase:  12 points.  :-D

Apparently, this is a common situation with student loan accounts with funky terms (Perkins!) for people who qualify for annual amortization and $0 repayment.

Nice catch!

In my case, mine is (single consolidated) open, but noted as "deferred"
It's not deferred.   It's just paid way ahead (next payment due: July 2021).
Servicers are weird.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX had my 11 FSL accounts statuses as “closed” as well. My mind was blown. It was a 45 point jump when corrected.
Message 3 of 8
dryanaz80
Valued Member

Curious how this is supposed to be handled with Covid suspended payments? My Fedloan Direct Consolidation loans are reporting as open but my FFELP Nelnet account from 2004 is showing Closed  - but it's in forbearance mimicking the Fed Loan deferment.  Does it being in closed vs open status really impact anything? My positive payment history appears to still be counted as well as the age as it's my oldest l of an of any kind. But, I don't know how to tell if I'm missing out on points somewhere?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
ccquest
Established Contributor

Closed installment accounts don't seem to impact anything other than maybe average age of accounts, seems like they aren't like credit cards where they keep having a positive affect.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5 of 8
calyx
Super Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
Closed installment accounts don't seem to impact anything other than maybe average age of accounts, seems like they aren't like credit cards where they keep having a positive affect.

Closed installment account are still counted for AAoA in FICO scoring, Vantage doesn't count it, but not a lot of lenders use Vantage as a primary determinant in lending.

The biggest impact closed installment loans will have is on 1) DTI  and 2) determining your installment utilization

Since the CARES act (I note that the thread is old), my loans are now listed as "Forbearance - Affected by natural disaster" but still open.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 8
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

@calyx wrote:

@ccquest wrote:

Closed installment account are still counted for AAoA in FICO scoring, Vantage doesn't count it, but not a lot of lenders use Vantage as a primary determinant in lending.

The biggest impact closed installment loans will have is on 1) DTI  and 2) determining your installment utilization

Thanks. I guess I have to look for Vantage lenders. So limiting Smiley Sad

I do AZEO.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job finding that out!!! More people need to see this.  I had a similar situation when I applied for a mortgage.  My student loan was reported in "default" and I had no clue.  Bottom line, be vigilant!! Keep it up!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.