cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make sure all current student loans show as OPEN!

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Contributor

Make sure all current student loans show as OPEN!

I've had a student loan account that has been open since 2004.  I could not, for the life of me, figure out why Experian has been lower than the others for over a year.  Figured it out:  This loan that I have almost FIFTEEN YEARS worth of on-time payments on?   Yeah, Experian showed it as closed, with a small balance, and "Paid" as the status.  Good grief.  After doing a bit more research and comparing some old reports, I found out they had done that with several student loan accounts.  Score increase:  12 points.  :-D

Apparently, this is a common situation with student loan accounts with funky terms (Perkins!) for people who qualify for annual amortization and $0 repayment.

AMEX 12000 / PenFed 7500 / NFCU 3000 / CO 1500 / Disco 1300 / CareCredit 6000

EX8 683 / TU8 725 / EQ8 728
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Valued Contributor

Re: Make sure all current student loans show as OPEN!

@Kreditwuerdig wrote:

I've had a student loan account that has been open since 2004.  I could not, for the life of me, figure out why Experian has been lower than the others for over a year.  Figured it out:  This loan that I have almost FIFTEEN YEARS worth of on-time payments on?   Yeah, Experian showed it as closed, with a small balance, and "Paid" as the status.  Good grief.  After doing a bit more research and comparing some old reports, I found out they had done that with several student loan accounts.  Score increase:  12 points.  :-D

Apparently, this is a common situation with student loan accounts with funky terms (Perkins!) for people who qualify for annual amortization and $0 repayment.

Nice catch!

In my case, mine is (single consolidated) open, but noted as "deferred"
It's not deferred.   It's just paid way ahead (next payment due: July 2021).
Servicers are weird.

Garden goal: keep on keepin' on until 2020.
Message 2 of 3

Re: Make sure all current student loans show as OPEN!

EX had my 11 FSL accounts statuses as “closed” as well. My mind was blown. It was a 45 point jump when corrected.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.