cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My federal student loans are reporting as a closed account while in forbearance, is this correct?

tag
Knice86
Valued Member

My federal student loans are reporting as a closed account while in forbearance, is this correct?

I checked my credit report today and it has one less active account which I fear may impact my credit score since I already have so few.

After checking into the issue further, my consolidated federal student loan is reporting as a closed account while in forbearance under the Cares Act however it still reflects updated monthly payments.

Am I correct to assume the status of closed is being misreported by either Experian or my loan lender?  I thought the Cares Act stipulated lenders must keep reporting monthly payments with no impact to credit reporting?  In this current situation my credit score will be impacted with one less account if the reporting status is correct.  I don't see how a loan in forbearance should report as closed by any means.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My federal student loans are reporting as a closed account while in forbearance, is this correct

Mine are reporting the same way. I'm wondering if the easiest way for the student loan servicers to comply with the current mandate to not charge interest for the time being was to set all loans in their systems as closed. 

Message 2 of 9
Knice86
Valued Member

Re: My federal student loans are reporting as a closed account while in forbearance, is this correct

I spoke with my loan servicer today and they said they were going to change the way forbearances were reported and make that change retroactive for April at the end of May.  The rep seemed to have a script for this exact inquiry so they were well  aware of the error made and have plans on changing the reporting to an active account.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great information. Thank you.

Message 4 of 9
cr101
Established Contributor

@Knice86 wrote:

I spoke with my loan servicer today and they said they were going to change the way forbearances were reported and make that change retroactive for April at the end of May.  The rep seemed to have a script for this exact inquiry so they were well  aware of the error made and have plans on changing the reporting to an active account.

i came here looking for answers bc my loan on experian had been reported as paid, closed and also notated as 'forebearance' for as far as i can remember, but today, it's showing as an open account. the balance is also included in my total debt. it's always been that way on tu, i believe. just worried it'll freak my exp creditors out....can you explain what the rep said they're changing? what did she say they're going to report them as?

Message 5 of 9
Hex
Valued Contributor

My consolidated student loan was put automatically into deferment by my servicer Great Lakes. I'm not an expert on this but here are the data points I can recall:

-On April 12th I randomly checked my account (the oldest account on my report that I opened in December of 2014). I was checking the Great Lakes Website. It said my payment was late and I was horrified because it's been humming along on autopay for 5 1/2 years without problem and I had enough in my payment account to make about 20 payments. I check all my revolving accounts several times a week but this one was safe not to check all the time (I had decided). My payments have always been on the 1st. 
-I called Great Lakes and was told not to worry about it -everyone was going to be automatically be deferred and I would not get a late. 
-I paid the current amount due plus a dollar more that day even though they said I didn't have to. I asked if I could cancel the deferment and they said yes but not for a week or so because of the current activity they had created on the account. They said either way no lates, no interest and no bad reporting. 
-I debated what to do and decided to just make an extra payment about 2 weeks later. My account on their website at that point said up to date but also said "forbearance".  I didn't like that at all. I decided to examine all credit reports. 
-Credit reports said on time but comment of "deferred" on all reports. I didn't see any FICO or Vantage score change but still asked them to please officially put me back into active repayment because I was worried about AA from my credit card issuers based on proprietary algorithms. That was last Friday 5/15/20. They said they would change my account and update it over the weekend. They incidentally said that everybody's accounts would be fixed to remove the deffered comment and be reported by June 1. They said it would be reported correctly backdated to April. 

-I checked my accounts daily on various sites over the following days and nothing changed. 
-Tuesday I updated my daily Experian  FICO score and the account was reported as closed with a $38K balance. It was still reporting as on time but it was otherwise looking truly closed with my open account number decreased, my closed account number increased and my AAoA "accurately" reflecting my new credit report. 
-I called them and complained and they said everything would be fixed by the end of May reporting. I told them I was afraid unjustified AA on my credit cards because of the loss of my oldest account. The CSR offered to get her supervisor for me. The supervisor said my account was reported last Friday correctly (open, on time and in repayment) "To Equifax, Experian, Innovis and that other one I can't remember the name of right now". 
-Today 5/21 all my reports look as they should. NOT! You know Equifax is still wrong of course.  I've never checked Innovis and don't think I really want too. -Transunion (that elusive 4th bureau) and Experian are correct so I think it's at least being reported correctly now. 
-Equifax is correct in as much as it's listed as in repayment and current. It still has the comment "deferral" but asking them to fix it could only make it worse. 
-I read somewhere this has only happened with Great Lakes. 
Hope this data was helpful. 

Message 6 of 9
cr101
Established Contributor

idk if it's only happening w great lakes, but after i posted a day or two ago, i did some google searches and they were in a few major articles about this reporting error of theirs. i also reached out to them to find out if my loan should be in closed or open status and they sent me a canned resposne that, of course, didn't answer my q. it was filled w cya.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

"

Emergency relief screw-up hits 5 million student loan borrowers

Great Lakes, because of a “coding error,” erroneously reported to the credit bureaus that borrowers’ accounts were “deferred.”

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/05/20/emergency-releif-student-loan-272334 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you saw seems to be the answer so I think you'll have to sadly wait for them to fix their own problem. Sounds like it will take a while. 😔

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.