cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NELNET: Ability to pay down balance - Use as leverage against negatives?

tag
emp303

NELNET: Ability to pay down balance - Use as leverage against negatives?

Hello everyone.

This is my first post, though I've been reading the boards for a while. Thanks in advance for reading.

I've got about 32k in Nelnet loans, and have significant delinquencies on the account (split into 4 loans - so every late was x4.) I've read the other posts on the fico forums, and found that a good will letter seems futile with these folks. The lates are from only a year ago, so to wait them out would take a while.

I have some extra money right now, and have the ability to pay down the balance by approximately 30%. It is not an ideal situation to do so, mind you - but if it would help my credit, I'd happily proceed.

My question is - does anyone have any experience with this sort of situation? Is it possible to use that balance pay down as any kind of leverage against the negatives reported? Might they remove any of my lates, if I pay down a significant amount of the balance?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've worked hard to pay down all CC debt in the last year, and I've been working towards decent credit. I'm in the low 700s right now, and would really like to be 725+ sometime this year (and of course, remove negatives from my credit report.) My school loans are the sole basis for my credit score being low.

Thanks!

Current Score:
MyFico 716
TU (Vantage) 709 (4/30/11)
EX (Vantage) 706 (3/21/11)
EQ (Vantage) 706 (3/21/11)

Goal Score: ALL 725+ by 1/1/12
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: NELNET: Ability to pay down balance - Use as leverage against negatives?

it's always worth asking.  personally i don't think they would agree, but i am just speculating.  good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.