cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navient Late Payments Student loan Forgiveness

tag
TRJ87

Navient Late Payments Student loan Forgiveness

Earlier this year I paid off the remainder of a small student loan that had been looming over me for a very long time. I was naive to how late payments affected my credit score soo much and I am now wiser. Long story short I have a few 90 day, 120-day late payments with navient. that are still reporting. I have about 1 year until they drop off for 2 year but some reports still show past the 2 year mark.

My question is, with people receiving student loan forgiveness is it feasible to ask Navient to remove late payments? Basically, I want to equal the effects that others will receive for having a large amount of debt removed from their credit reports. I feel that for paying off my loan before this was announced that I am being punished. Not trying to stir up a political debate on the fairness of the program. I just want to get something out of it as well.

I have read on here that Navient basically laughs at people for asking for a late payment removal so my hopes are not high, but interested in if anyone else has had this thought process and others' thoughts on this particular situation.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JM761
Regular Contributor

Re: Navient Late Payments Student loan Forgiveness

Really great question...I wish I had advice... I'm in a similar situation. I've read that as few people have gotten the trade line deleted from their CR but I don't know now how! 

Message 2 of 9
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I don't know about Navient's reputation or responses to such requests but you won't know for sure unless you ask, right?

Best wishes!

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 3 of 9
JM761
Regular Contributor

Hi! Just curious is you had any luck? I'm in a similar situation! 

Message 4 of 9
TRJ87

I actually have not reached out to them yet, I have been working on rebuilding in ways that I can alter on my own accord, paid down all cards opened new cards and credit limit increases. I am happy with the cards I have now so just focused on paying those and was able to refinance my auto loan from 12% to 6% rate. it would probably still help by getting them removed and a nice hefty jump in score but with everything that has been getting delayed for the forgiveness program I have paused any attempts on contacting Navient. From what I have read they are not the friendliest about removing any negative marks.

Good luck to others and update here if you have an success.

Message 5 of 9
JM761
Regular Contributor

@TRJ87 wrote:

I actually have not reached out to them yet, I have been working on rebuilding in ways that I can alter on my own accord, paid down all cards opened new cards and credit limit increases. I am happy with the cards I have now so just focused on paying those and was able to refinance my auto loan from 12% to 6% rate. it would probably still help by getting them removed and a nice hefty jump in score but with everything that has been getting delayed for the forgiveness program I have paused any attempts on contacting Navient. From what I have read they are not the friendliest about removing any negative marks.

Good luck to others and update here if you have an success.

Thanks for this info. I don't know why I didn't see the message earlier - I apologize about the late response. I, too, put things on hold for a bit re: late payments. I'm starting back up again because I finally recieved my loan forgiveness letter. I worked over 10 years at a non-profit and started the required consolidation back in May 2022. I just recieved forgiveness last week - $17000 gone! I'm grateful and, at the same time, want to try and remove the lates. Probably a lost cause. I spoke with someone in Oct '22 at Navient that tried to remove them but wasn't able to find an adequate reason without a letter showing forgiveness. She suggested I call again after I got the letter. She said they are not refuted much these days b/c of all the loan forgiveness and lawsuit, esp if it's for a closed loan. She may have just been blowing smoke in my face but I'm going to see if I can get anywhere with that approach now that I Have the letter. 

Sounds like you have a great plan in place...nice refi on the car! Hope we figure something out for the late soon. If I do, I'll report back!

Message 6 of 9
donkort
Valued Contributor

I had MANY late payments (none over 60 days late, though).

About a week ago, I got full PSLF loan forgiveness, thereby reducing my student debt from $65,000 to 0.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 7 of 9
JM761
Regular Contributor

@donkort wrote:

I had MANY late payments (none over 60 days late, though).

About a week ago, I got full PSLF loan forgiveness, thereby reducing my student debt from $65,000 to 0.

Congratulations on the forgiveness! My PSLF was awarded in Jan processd in January (although they are still on my credit report). The late payments remain but the balance goes down. I'll take it! ☺️

Message 8 of 9
donkort
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you, too!

I think, once the forgiveness is reflected in your credit reports, that your lates might go away, too.  I'll research this.

My research indicates that this MIGHT happen.

Were you ever 90 days late or above?  I had many YEARS worth of 60 days or less lates which weren't reported to the credit bureaus.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.