cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navient switching servicers - will this take navient off credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navient switching servicers - will this take navient off credit report?

Hello! like the title i have a question regarding Navient switching loan servicers. I have been a longtime lurker on fico forums and am chipping away slowly at rebuilding. The one thing that is impacting my score is that I had 7 student loans through Navient and missed a payment by 90 days that shows up on all of the account (2 reports say the late payment was 09/2018 some say 08/2018). My question is (since gw letters seem to not work at all with navient) will Navient fall off my CR now that theyve been passed on to someone else and will this change the age of account or will it be back-dated? I have since consolidated the 7 loans into one so they are all closed. 

2 REPLIES 2
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Navient switching servicers - will this take navient off credit report?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! like the title i have a question regarding Navient switching loan servicers. I have been a longtime lurker on fico forums and am chipping away slowly at rebuilding. The one thing that is impacting my score is that I had 7 student loans through Navient and missed a payment by 90 days that shows up on all of the account (2 reports say the late payment was 09/2018 some say 08/2018). My question is (since gw letters seem to not work at all with navient) will Navient fall off my CR now that theyve been passed on to someone else and will this change the age of account or will it be back-dated? I have since consolidated the 7 loans into one so they are all closed. 

If the accounts are currently closed, I would expect nothing to change in reporting due to navient no longer servicing SL, closed accounts are not transferred to a new servicer.

Message 2 of 3
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Navient switching servicers - will this take navient off credit report?

Your student loan will show as closed with the current servicer and then a "new" loan with the new servicer will appear - the original date should hold.

Old/closed loans generally stay on your credit reports, but there's always the chance they'll fall off.   For example, my consolidated loan moved from UHEAA to FedLoan.   EX immediately dropped the old, closed loan, but EQ & TU kept it.  Makes calculating my AAoA and other aging metrics fun.   I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the loans will do when transferred from FedLoan to wherever they move next. 

The 7 closed loans with the late should stay.   The new consolidated loan should stay.   The new-new (transferred) consolidated loan will have the date from when you consolidated.   If something falls off early, it's always interesting, but it's not guaranteed.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.